RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Aetius Helvius Merula - 08-13-2007

Yes indeed. I tried sewing my own tunic a month ago, and it's already falling apart. So I have an idea of the work you put into it. Good job, Martin/Martius!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - M. Demetrius - 08-13-2007

Falling apart and mended is probably about as authentic as anything ever could be. Small stitches, pulled tightly, and tied well at the end of the thread will do a better job than long, loose stitches. If your material tends to fray, then sew a whipstitch or blanket stitch around the raw edge of the fabric. That generally will reduce that self-destruction problem.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Titus Martius - 08-13-2007

Quote:Holy Apparition! There's a ghost standing behind you! Look out!

Very nice tunic, though. Worth a laud!

Cha! That's ghost of our dead auxiliary infantryman :lol: ! Btw. I've forgotten to post my own impression! Idea -

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h303/ ... s/TMS2.jpg

Finally early 2nd century...

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Ludens - 08-18-2007

me on a event in Maaseik (Belgium)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - M. Demetrius - 08-18-2007

Wow! Nice welcome!

Good to see you kitted up, frater. Here's a laud for you!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Ludens - 08-19-2007

Quote:Wow! Nice welcome!

Good to see you kitted up, frater. Here's a laud for you!

Thanks, but the honour should go to Marcus Mummius and the other brothers and sisters of Legio XI CFP, because most of my equipment I bought from them and they were a tremendous help with... well... everything, lol

and off course also my mom for making the tunica (her sewing is much better and quicker then mine :wink:

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Aetius Helvius Merula - 08-19-2007

Quote:Falling apart and mended is probably about as authentic as anything ever could be. Small stitches, pulled tightly, and tied well at the end of the thread will do a better job than long, loose stitches. If your material tends to fray, then sew a whipstitch or blanket stitch around the raw edge of the fabric. That generally will reduce that self-destruction problem.

Forgot to say it, but thanks for this, David. I'm starting to get the modern ideas of precise, machine made stuff that lasts forever out of my head Smile

And good impression, Jo! Except, you really need to change that obviously modern back drop...no, just joking :lol: One of these days I'll be able show my own kit; my things are just starting to roll in.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Ludens - 08-19-2007

Quote:

And good impression, Jo! Except, you really need to change that obviously modern back drop...no, just joking :lol: One of these days I'll be able show my own kit; my things are just starting to roll in.

I'll mail your remarks to the city of Maaseik, it was their event and their modern background :wink:

I've learned that day that looking angry on command is as difficult as smiling on command. If that city-photographer didn't take 20 pics of me, he didn't take any... :lol:

I like this position better :wink: (from my last event in Eindhoven, I'm the one drinking on the left, Wim of Corbulo is on the right) and, no modern background Big Grin

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Aetius Helvius Merula - 08-19-2007

Quote:
Aetius Helvius Merula:1eoz8mwt Wrote:And good impression, Jo! Except, you really need to change that obviously modern back drop...no, just joking :lol: One of these days I'll be able show my own kit; my things are just starting to roll in.

I'll mail your remarks to the city of Maaseik, it was their event and their modern background :wink:

I've learned that day that looking angry on command is as difficult as smiling on command. If that city-photographer didn't take 20 pics of me, he didn't take any... :lol:

I like this position better :wink: (from my last event in Eindhoven, I'm the one drinking on the left, Wim of Corbulo is on the right) and, no modern background Big Grin

And be sure to tell the city fathers of Maasiek that they need to raze the city, and rebuild it to Roman standards, so re-enactors can be authentic :lol:

Did the photographers ask you to strike different poses?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Chuck Russell - 08-19-2007

Smile great!

man, to much talking inbetween pictures Wink i cant remember which pic i posted here? my 1st, 3rd or 4thc pic. grrrrr

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 08-19-2007

Hey Jo, great impression!

The greaves your centurio look spot on! Did he make them or did he get them made else where?

Do you have any info on them, or would he be willing to share the details on them?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Marcus Mummius - 08-19-2007

Quote:Hey Jo, great impression!

The greaves your centurio look spot on! Did he make them or did he get them made else where?

Do you have any info on them, or would he be willing to share the details on them?

:lol: That isn't our centurio. That's Wim from Corbvlo who is also a RAT member. We've met on several succesive events and we make a good team Smile I'm sure he will be happy to give you some info on them.

On the website you can read about his reconstruction of Quintus Sertorius Festus: http://www.corbvlo.com/eng/index.html

At the left menu first choose 'photo-strip' and then 'reconstructed costumes'.

Our centurio has nice greaves too but no scaleshirt or spiffy phalerae like Wim. :lol:

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Et tu brute - 08-29-2007

This is a pic of me at my first event at Sewerby Hall on Sunday/Monday some of the kit is borrowed, the mail, shield and greave plus a couple of other bits.

[Image: SewerbyHall012Medium.jpg]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Marcus Mummius - 08-29-2007

Nice impression Dave! Looking good!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 08-29-2007

It doesn't say where he had them made or who made them Jef. : Smile