RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Celt - 09-18-2007

Hey Salvianus (Ste Kenwright)

Did you find that Pic takeaway OK?

All the best :lol:

[Image: PICT0233.jpg]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Celt - 09-18-2007

Nice pictures everyone. It’s great to see other groups looking so good. I really wish we were all able to meet up in one place – what a sight that would be. Tongue

[Image: night016.jpg]

[Image: fullscalecoatplusgorget.jpg]

[Image: rockingham.jpg]

All the best to all.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - FAVENTIANVS - 09-19-2007

Wow, incredible squamata!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Caballo - 09-19-2007

Great squamata- btw, I notice you don't use a belt around the waist- which I always thought was both for military id and also to transfer the weight from shoulders to hips?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Celt - 09-19-2007

“I notice you don't use a belt around the waist- which I always thought was both for military id and also to transfer the weight from shoulders to hips?â€

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - jvrjenivs - 09-19-2007

Quote:If any one out there has the same kind of armour, what kind of belt techniques have you used :?:

First I've to say that I really like your armor. Very impressive!

Now to answer your question. Our centurion (Wim/Cordvs on RAT) use some belt-holders which are attached to his phalerae-leather-strips. I've also seen some attachement pieces bent over a single plate of a segmentata (in re-enactment, don't know of any archeological evidence). So maybe you could make some attachement onto your scale armor, which help your belt to be in place.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 09-19-2007

What period is your impression? Did a later belt not incorporate a baldric/belteus, which might help hold it up?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Celt - 09-19-2007

This style of scale armour can be used for the 3rd to 4th century.

A few other members of comitatus wear shoulder straps that can be attached to their military belt. I’m going to try this method, at the moment it seems to be the best way forward.

Thanks to both of you for your comments.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Celtic505 - 09-20-2007

I'm about halfway through with my roman officer impression kit, but I wanted to make it historically accurate as possible. I have painted my loric musculata black with a gold trim aroud it but I've heard black would not have been used nor would the trimming ever be gold/bronze-like colours. Change the color or keep it?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 09-21-2007

Quote:Yes you are right about the belt – the armour is new and this was the 1st time I had worn the suit this year. Due to the extra width of the padding, scale (and ever grown beer belly) my belt wouldn’t go round :lol: Though, I have also noticed that the new belt may need a shoulder strap to help keep the belt in place. The scale is loose and slippery and is hard to keep a tight military belt around the scale with out the scale buckling or sliding between the separate levels.

If any one out there has the same kind of armour, what kind of belt techniques have you used :?:
Hi Jamie,

Great looking squamata, what does it weigh?

I have the same problem, both with the physical aspect (my belly grows from bad food rather than from beer though :wink: ) and armour too stiff to be able to get the belt tight enough.
My solution for now is to hitch it over the baldric, so that it rests on it. That works well enough. A better method would be the wrapping of linen and strapping the belt over thataround the waist (it´s been discussed here before, I just can´t remember the name). That also prevents damage to the belt from the scales, another common problem with the squamata.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Celt - 09-23-2007

“Great looking squamata, what does it weigh?â€

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Et tu brute - 09-24-2007

1.5 Stones is only about 10 kilos by the way Smile

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Salvianus - 09-24-2007

Quote:Hey Salvianus (Ste Kenwright)

Did you find that Pic takeaway OK?

All the best :lol:

[Image: PICT0233.jpg]

Unfortunately, some Pict took it away. The map was pretty good but some of the countryside had moved. I asked a Scotti, but he just barked.

cheers

;-) )

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Et tu brute - 09-24-2007

Quote:Unfortunately, some Pict took it away.

Right then, where's Paul E? Big Grin

musculata response - Tribune Valerius - 10-01-2007

Quote:I'm about halfway through with my roman officer impression kit, but I wanted to make it historically accurate as possible. I have painted my loric musculata black with a gold trim aroud it but I've heard black would not have been used nor would the trimming ever be gold/bronze-like colours. Change the color or keep it?

Ave, Dennis! I would lose the black, personally. I do a Tribune's impression, and much of my research was gleaned from Travis Clark's excellent website on the construction and appearance of the officer's musculata. Building on that, I set up a Yahoogroups site with as many pictures and references as I/we could find, which was greatly helped by several other's doing this same impression (esp. Theodosius et Julius).

[url:q0yc61zl]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ThePraetorianGuard/[/url]

The short of it is that if the musculata was painted, it was most likely painted in flesh tones, framed by pteruges of bright hues. Yes, I know. But that's what the evidence points to. Aside from that, there's a fair amount of literary evidence pertaining to the "bronze cuirass" worn by officers. So, unpainted bronze (brass) would be another authentic option. And one can reasonably assume this would have been highly polished... these were very wealthy men representing the power of the Roman state. The Roman aversion to wearing black as a harbinger of doom is well-known. Unfortunately, I believe Deepeeka's inspiration for the black painted cuirass and Corinthian helmet was Brad Pitt's plastic armor from the movie Troy.

Best of luck with your impression,

Gil Whitley

Tribune Valerius, Legio X Fretensis So Cal