RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 01-29-2008

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thats pretty funny !

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Marcus Iulius Chattus - 01-29-2008

No, not really funny sometimes. I´m the only one that served as a really soldier in a really army (if you can call the Bundeswehr a really army!), the rest are weekend-warriors! Even my Centurio refused to do millitary-service!
Sometimes, they missunderstand my orders to change the formation or direction, and than each one walk in another direction or even stop. You should see it. It looks like chicken that run away from a fox.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - maius - 01-30-2008

Ivan, really great impression!

Maius/Bill

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 01-30-2008

Quote:It's from last summer, but I just found it in some lost file...

Glad you found it!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Senovara - 01-30-2008

Quote: Sometimes, they missunderstand my orders to change the formation or direction, and than each one walk in another direction or even stop. You should see it. It looks like chicken that run away from a fox.

:lol: :lol:

Nice photo Ivan! Really great impression!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - FAVENTIANVS - 01-30-2008

Thaaaaank you for your kind comments lady & gentelmen!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Allectus - 02-20-2008

Here is a shot of me in the 4th/5th century rig that I have constructed for SCA combat. The tunic and trousers hide my arm and leg armour. The scales are mostly bronze with mild steel borders. For the moment I am using my ACW brogans as the least offensive footware option until I can try my hand at making a pair of late Roman closed toe boots. This board has been a big inspiration as I have worked on this over the past year and more.

[Image: lateromanalec0802zk0.th.jpg]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Franklin - 02-20-2008

Well done, Sir. Where did the scales come from? And your shield design?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Franklin - 02-20-2008

I've been contemplating some kind of gorget/focale combo to meet SCA regs. What was your solution? Do you have any close-up pics?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Titus Tiberius Crispus - 02-20-2008

Euge!!

Truly one of the finest SCA impressions, of any era, I have ever seen.

Well done,

Tom

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - maius - 02-20-2008

Quote:Euge!!

Truly one of the finest SCA impressions, of any era, I have ever seen.

Well done,

Tom

I agree, great impression!

Maius/Bill

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 02-20-2008

Yes a very good impression, that helm looks familiar :wink: Smile

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Allectus - 02-20-2008

Salve!

Thank you for all of your kind words. This is the first time I've posted on this board but just love all of the info.

The scales I made -- there are about 1,400 of them. I ordered the bronze in 1" wide strips from Herzog & Co. in Philadelphia. Then i just fabricated the individual scales using a combo of shears, belt sander, punches, and drill. My psychiatrist says that with enough therupy and the right drugs I should recover.

For the shield design, I just used my SCA badge (a heraldic barnacle) in a format that sorta kinda looks like it could have been listed in the notitia dignitatum. I plan to make another shield with a actual design taken from the notitia.

Neck armour -- its built into the arming doublet that goes underneath the tunica. The doublet also supports my arm armour. I made the doublet for a 15C rig so there is a mail standard sewn over the leather and plate gorget part -- for looks of course. I just wrap a linen scarf over the mail to hide it. Suppose I should make a dedicated arming doublet for this rig with just the build in gorget to reduce the bulk around the neck. Here is a photo showing what I'm talking about:

[Image: lateromanalec0824iy8.th.jpg]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 02-21-2008

Hi Al!

Very nice-looking armour!

Quote:This board has been a big inspiration as I have worked on this over the past year and more.
Thanks for the compliment!

Ah, would you add your real name to your sig please? It's a forum rule.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Salvianus - 02-21-2008

That's a lotta work!

I had the good fortune to test drive a lovely scale cuirass over mail recently - you can really feel the difference in shock absorption, for surprisingly little extra weight. Could have done with that at Jorvik last weekend: took a few spear strikes in the soft bits!