RomanArmyTalk
Thracian sword reconstruction Vindonissa Museum - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Thracian sword reconstruction Vindonissa Museum (/showthread.php?tid=31092)

Pages: 1 2

Thracian sword reconstruction Vindonissa Museum - brennivs - tony drake - 05-09-2019

After a few years I now can make this sword from Vindonissa. I first saw this as a small picture in a book but without a length to go on just left it. I now have them so have made a start, and I have it to a near shape. I can tell you it is a beast in the hand, I will post photos as I go for now the picture itself I am working from, sorry file will not down load  Angry 

Ha I won't let technology defeat me Wink
May take a bit to finish work ect but will post as I go along  Smile 
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin

RE: Thracian sword reconstruction Vindonissa Museum - brennivs - tony drake - 05-09-2019

Here its is in the rough, this will be a easy grind but still time consuming  Wink  then metal guard and a nice grip just some holes for rivets. 

What I started with and the rough shape.

Very interesting sword to work on, I have not seen anything like it in a Roman context, so any imput is welcome.

RE: Thracian sword reconstruction Vindonissa Museum - brennivs - tony drake - 05-09-2019

The blade has its first grind. From here I can start to take it down to the profile of the origonal blade. It will have a wicked cutting edge.

So it is going well so far. If you have any questions please ask away  Wink 
Total length; 55.3cm
Max width; 4.2cm
Blade; 44cm

RE: Thracian sword reconstruction Vindonissa Museum - Robert - 06-25-2019

(05-09-2019, 08:28 PM)brennivs - tony drake Wrote: The blade has its first grind. From here I can start to take it down to the profile of the origonal blade. It will have a wicked cutting edge.

So it is going well so far. If you have any questions please ask away  Wink 
Total length; 55.3cm
Max width; 4.2cm
Blade; 44cm
He Tony, nice blade! But I believe there is something wrong with your reconstruction. Notice how the blade in the picture of the original is wider near the tip then near the handle. And that is not due to corrosion. Yours has a perfectly straight back and a even width. It can be easily fixed to conform to the original, but it does need a visit to a blacksmith shop to correct the shape IMHO. That is, if you have not ground the spine down yet .....

RE: Thracian sword reconstruction Vindonissa Museum - Dan Howard - 06-26-2019

Yep. The extra metal at the tip moves the centre of gravity closer to the end. Looks like the original would have functioned a lot like a bolo machete - a formidable chopper.

RE: Thracian sword reconstruction Vindonissa Museum - brennivs - tony drake - 07-04-2019

Thanks for the replys, sorry I could not respond telephone cable was cut ARRR took two weeks for repair.  You are both right I did not upload my final shaping silly me, but I now have ground down the profile to the shape, I had left a bit of room on the blade on my previous photos before the final shape.

The picture is not great but I hope you can see the difference  Smile

I have come across this sword which has similar elements but a bit longer.
I am now pondering the scabbard so if anyone has thoughts on possibilities please share. It may be a while before a bit further on, a few gigs are up and comeing. Will post soon  Wink

RE: Thracian sword reconstruction Vindonissa Museum - Crispvs - 10-05-2019

As always, nice to see one of your projects taking shape. For some reason I feel a little guilty - had I known you wanted to make a copy of that sword I could have given you the correct dimensions years ago, as it is listed in Dreschler-Urb's Vindonissa catalogue.

Crispvs

RE: Thracian sword reconstruction Vindonissa Museum - brennivs - tony drake - 10-08-2019

Ha Crispvs Academia beat you to it, but thanks for the thought  Wink  It first sparked my interest with a  3" picture in arms and armour of the imperial roman soldier page 183 and a interesting thought that it was used in a cavalry context. If used on horse back then it would be a devastating weapon in both cut and thrust. So I hope to continue work on it when I get a chance Dodgy

RE: Thracian sword reconstruction Vindonissa Museum - brennivs - tony drake - 04-07-2020

I have started to finish the sword, so busy with the metal hand guard parts and then scales. So will post photos when a bit further. Then scabbard  Confused  making not the problem, just the fact this it is unusual, also the roman context. I will try a wood core to see if it works or a leather scabbard. Post soon.

RE: Thracian sword reconstruction Vindonissa Museum - brennivs - tony drake - 04-07-2020

Just a few pics for now  Smile

Metal parts complete and scales are made from dogwood. Blade needs a even polish but otherwise coming together quite nicely. So hope to have it put together and riveted this week  Wink

Handle is taking shape, just a bit more fit n finish. Pins just holding everything together.?

RE: Thracian sword reconstruction Vindonissa Museum - brennivs - tony drake - 04-08-2020

Fit all done now just the riveting to do  Smile

RE: Thracian sword reconstruction Vindonissa Museum - brennivs - tony drake - 04-09-2020

It is finished  Smile  The scales took a while to do, to obtain the right thickness for the hand. Also blued the metal fittings, which I think has worked out nicely. The scabbard next, once I have the wood core made, is what about the fittings  Undecided and how it should hang. Straight down the leg or at a angle. The book I have with it in shows a cavalry man using this type sword, with a scabbard on the right ( which seems to be straight ). With a date of 1st - 2nd AD gives me a context of options for fittings, should it be left plain basic rings for baldric and guttering part or full, or the option to add decorative plates ect. I have a feeling it would have some decoration on it. So any thoughts would be welcome  Smile
All I can say is it is a brute, the feel in the hand would show no mercy and would also lend its hand as a infantry weapon.

RE: Thracian sword reconstruction Vindonissa Museum - Crispianus - 04-10-2020

(04-09-2020, 03:38 PM)brennivs - tony drake Wrote:   
It is finished  Smile  The scales took a while to do, to obtain the right thickness for the hand. Also blued the metal fittings, which I think has worked out nicely. The scabbard next, once I have the wood core made, is what about the fittings  Undecided and how it should hang. Straight down the leg or at a angle. The book I have with it in shows a cavalry man using this type sword, with a scabbard on the right ( which seems to be straight ). With a date of 1st - 2nd AD gives me a context of options for fittings, should it be left plain basic rings for baldric and guttering part or full, or the option to add decorative plates ect. I have a feeling it would have some decoration on it. So any thoughts would be welcome  Smile
All I can say is it is a brute, the feel in the hand would show no mercy and would also lend its hand as a infantry weapon.

Tony Looks good, now all you need is a sacrificial Bull Big Grin

RE: Thracian sword reconstruction Vindonissa Museum - Dan D'Silva - 04-10-2020

Very handsome.  What was working with the dogwood like?