RomanArmyTalk
How many Greek reenactors are there? - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Greek Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: How many Greek reenactors are there? (/showthread.php?tid=3428)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Re: How many Greek reenactors are there? - Anonymous - 11-25-2005

Those Carthaginians are great! -and contemporaneous with our period! I've invited them.

Re: How many Greek reenactors are there? - FAVENTIANVS - 11-26-2005

They are great if you don't care about historical accuracy... :wink:

I'd like to... But I hope the event doesn't turn to what they do in Cartagena... I mean, they have fun there, and their budget is really high, but they don't care about the concept of re-enactment nor accuracy, and that makes me sad Cry
But if a pretty girl comes and persuade me... :roll: ... I can change my weak mind!

[Image: homer.jpg]

Re: How many Greek reenactors are there? - Gregory J. Liebau - 11-26-2005

That Cartagena group is insanely large! My question is this:

HOW do they get SO MANY people together to do historic reenactment who aren't interested in historical accuracy!

-Gregory-

Re: How many Greek reenactors are there? - Anonymous - 11-26-2005

Quote:They are great if you don't care about historical accuracy... :wink:

Is that right? I don't know what Carthaginians are supposed to look like, though they seem to have been very similar to us, to judge by Connolly's book. It looks to me as if the city (Cartagena) must have given grants to different localities to raise different types of troops. I did feel that some of the pictures looked rather "jubbly" ( as in "lovely jubbly" - cheap tat) but that others seemed quite credible. Have you any references to pictures of how Carthaginians should look?

Re: How many Greek reenactors are there? - Anonymous - 11-26-2005

Perhaps I should add a Policy Statement here:-

The Hoplite Association strives for accuracy and the Festival will do the same. However, I will not dampen the enthusiasm of dedicated people by demanding the same level of authenticity from them, especially where they represent cultures and civilizations which have rarity value.

My aim is to motivate people to work towards the best they can do; not to reject them outright and thus discourage them. In this first year of the Festival, I am going to be pretty tolerant, within the framework set out above, but I will be looking for contributors who, like Faventianus and myself, care about, and take pride in, authenticity.

Years ago, a small group of people dressed like Hollywood Stone Age types managed to sneak onto the field at the Battle of Hastings. That was not tolerated and neither will anything similar be tolerated at the Ancient Greek Festival.

Clear distinction will be made between groups who are re-enactors and those who are more theatrical. In this way I hope to influence the Theatre towards greater realism.

As to pretty girls, I think I can find ship-loads of those....

Re: How many Greek reenactors are there? - Gregory J. Liebau - 11-26-2005

Quote: As to pretty girls, I think I can find ship-loads of those

All you need is one. That'll fetch you shiploads of Greeks.

-Gregory-

Re: How many Greek reenactors are there? - hoplite14gr - 11-26-2005

Quote:
Quote: As to pretty girls, I think I can find ship-loads of those

All you need is one. That'll fetch you shiploads of Greeks.

-Gregory-

Not just pretty-they need to adhere to the Strict Lakedemonian standarts too :lol:
Kind regards
Stefanos

Re: How many Greek reenactors are there? - Anonymous - 11-27-2005

Really? I understood the Greeks got most worked-up over Argive girls....

Anyway, I'll see what I can do. I've been thinking we ought to have a contest for the Apple of the Hesperides; if we get suitable contestants, that ought to draw the Greeks, and any other red-blooded males.

I remember, at Cosmeston, a beautiful Greek girl came to visit our display. Naturally, I did all I could to make her feel welcome....

Re: How many Greek reenactors are there? - Arthes - 11-28-2005

Quote:Anyway, I'll see what I can do. I've been thinking we ought to have a contest for the Apple of the Hesperides; if we get suitable contestants, that ought to draw the Greeks, and any other red-blooded males.
I will have to see if I can get my daughter to come along then...is this going to be a race......?
regards
Arthes

Re: How many Greek reenactors are there? - Anonymous - 11-28-2005

No, Arthes, the Contest for the Apple only involves standing around, but do, by all means, bring your daughter.

Legion IV Greeks - Arthes - 12-04-2005

Khairete,
are these guys from Hertfordshire included.....?
http://www.legion-fourteen.com/greeks.htm
regards
Arthes

Re: How many Greek reenactors are there? - Anonymous - 12-04-2005

I e-mailed them and was asked fore further details, which I sent. I haven't heard from them since.

Re: How many Greek reenactors are there? - Comerus Gallus - 12-05-2005

I wish to know if Philhelene knows if this two Scythian, maybe from Ukrain or Russia are from a group that he knows? It is from an old magazine that I had for some years, not state nothing about them! :evil:

But I envy their kit! Confusedhock:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/C ... img046.jpg