RomanArmyTalk
Trier shields book - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: References & Reviews (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Trier shields book (/showthread.php?tid=4522)

Trier shields book - FAVENTIANVS - 01-17-2006

Does anybody have images from 1996 Groetherd's (or Groethert?) Late Roman Egyptian shields from Trier book? I'm specially interested in the 10 points star shield device.

Thanx in advance.

Re: Trier shields book - Robert Vermaat - 01-17-2006

I just borrowed it from Andreas, I'll make some scans soon. But don't get overexited, it's just a few scarps of leather. the author won't even guess how large the shields were, and though is reconstructions are of round shields even that can't be determined.
But there are some nice details.

Re: Trier shields book - FAVENTIANVS - 01-17-2006

Thanx mate! I was reading the Dura Europos final report and it talked about it.

Re: Trier shields book - aitor iriarte - 01-18-2006

Robert,
The author is able to determine the diameter of the shields and they were clearly round...
I'd wish there wore more scraps of leather like those hanging around by there! :wink:

Aitor

Re: Trier shields book - FAVENTIANVS - 01-18-2006

Quote:Robert,
The author is able to determine the diameter of the shields and they were clearly round...
I'd wish there wore more scraps of leather like those hanging around by there! :wink:

Aitor
Simon James doesn't say so, in the Dura Europos final report he goes for Oval for the Trier shields.

But I'd thank if you can send me pics too :wink:

Re: Trier shields book - Robert Vermaat - 01-18-2006

Quote:Robert,
I should have read the article again, I missed him giving diameter measurements. Shield 1 ('ornament shield'-I'm not sure why) he estimates as 103 cm wide, shield 2 ('hunting shield') he estimates at 108 cm wide, shield 3 ('war shield') is estimated at 98 cm. I think the estimates for 1 and 2 are fairly large.
Also, I know the reconstructions are round, but the scraps can easily be rearranged to get more oval result. There's just too few material around to be really sure here. Which is why I can't say I'm in favour of the result or not.

Re: Trier shields book - FAVENTIANVS - 01-24-2006

We already found the book. Thanks for our help comilites... :wink:

Re: Trier shields book - aitor iriarte - 01-25-2006

Ivan,
I made a crappy Spanish translation of that paper several years ago... 8)

Aitor

Re: Trier shields book - FAVENTIANVS - 01-25-2006

Could you please send it to me? Smile

Re: Trier shields book - aitor iriarte - 01-25-2006

Of course, this very afternoon! Big Grin

Aitor

Re: Trier shields book - FAVENTIANVS - 01-25-2006

Ezkerrik asko! (thanx!)