RomanArmyTalk
Scary Banner! - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Scary Banner! (/showthread.php?tid=5670)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Scary Banner! - Gaius Honorius Felix - 05-15-2006

Hello,
Has anyone looked at the top banner for romanarmy.com? For some reason it looks creepy to me, like something out of a horror movie. Might have to do with a number of factors. Anyone share this opinion
?

Re: Scary Banner! - Tarbicus - 05-15-2006

Adds weight to the argument that masks could have a desirable effect if used in battle I suppose Big Grin I hate masks, they really freak me out at fancy dress parties and the like.

Re: Scary Banner! - FAVENTIANVS - 05-15-2006

What about adding this one to a helmet?
[Image: POLM5_Tn.jpg]
Or it could look as a miles with a helluva hang over!

Re: Scary Banner! - tlclark - 05-15-2006

Quote:Adds weight to the argument that masks could have a desirable effect if used in battle I suppose Big Grin I hate masks, they really freak me out at fancy dress parties and the like.

I think that's the point. It's even freakier when you realize a lot of those parade masks were of women, making them look like harpies or sirens (I will reserve comments on what this says about men's latent fears of women) but I am really surprised no one has ever put these in a movie. Those empty vacant eyes. They would have been terrifying.

Travis

Re: Scary Banner! - FAVENTIANVS - 05-15-2006

As a standart bearer could work, but as long as he had to fight (rarely indeed) he would have to remove the mask... we bought a masked helmet and when wore it on the first time, I felt really blind!

[Image: blind_fury.jpg]

Re: Scary Banner! - Chuck Russell - 05-16-2006

dude i love that movie. i have it on vhs somewhere

Re: Scary Banner! - Robert Vermaat - 05-16-2006

Quote:[Image: blind_fury.jpg]
That's not a mask, that's Rutger's real face! Big Grin

Re: Scary Banner! - aitor iriarte - 05-16-2006

'All those moments will be lost in time like (cough) tears in the rain'
At least he had his minute of glory... :wink:

Aitor

Re: Scary Banner! - Arthes - 05-16-2006

I have to admit that unless you know what it is....you can wonder exactly what it is....a bug eyed creature or maybe a Valkyrie with long ash blonde hair - the banner not Rutger Hauer.....I liked him in Ladyhawk...(and as Vortigern).....lol

Re: Scary Banner! - Primvs Pavlvs - 05-16-2006

Everytime I see it I cannot help but think its a roosters head Confusedhock:

Re: Scary Banner! - Virilis - 05-16-2006

Quote:but I am really surprised no one has ever put these in a movie.

Was it in the movie "Excalibur" where Mordred had some kind of golden roman cavalry mask as a kid? I remember it looked kind of scary/twisted...

Re: Scary Banner! - Marius_Ursus - 05-16-2006

Quote:
Quote:but I am really surprised no one has ever put these in a movie.

Was it in the movie "Excalibur" where Mordred had some kind of golden roman cavalry mask as a kid? I remember it looked kind of scary/twisted...

I always thought it looked like a mask from "Oedipus Rex". Either way, you're right. It's bloody creepy.

Re: Scary Banner! - Narukami - 05-16-2006

Yes, it is the vacant stare of those black eyes that make that mask 'other worldly.'

However...

As pointed out above, trying to fight with such limited vision would be giving your enemy too much of an advantage. (Perhaps that's why the Storm Troopers always seem to miss Han Solo and the other rebels...)

And...

I thought Rutger Hauer was pretty good in Soldier Of Orange, but that's going back a few years.

Narukami

Re: Scary Banner! - Primitivus - 05-17-2006

Quote:Has anyone looked at the top banner for romanarmy.com? For some reason it looks creepy to me, like something out of a horror movie.
Probably just looks strange because it's only a "slice" of a larger image. You really have to study it for a moment to even tell what it is.

Re: Scary Banner! - Robert Vermaat - 05-17-2006

Quote:'All those moments will be lost in time like (cough) tears in the rain'
At least he had his minute of glory... :wink:

Who? Rutger? Liked him as Vortigern in 'Merlin of the Crystal Cave'... Big Grin