RomanArmyTalk
Spolas? "Subarmalis"? - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Greek Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Spolas? "Subarmalis"? (/showthread.php?tid=5690)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Re: Spolas? "Subarmalis"? - tlclark - 05-27-2006

If you look at that last b&w posted by Gioi above you can see that on both the left and right side we have a higher portion to cover the chest. If it closed on the one side only, you would only have that on one side.

Travis

Re: Spolas? "Subarmalis"? - Tarbicus - 05-27-2006

Quote:If you look at that last b&w posted by Gioi above you can see that on both the left and right side we have a higher portion to cover the chest. If it closed on the one side only, you would only have that on one side.

Travis
I think those higher portions are for the shoulders. The width of the unfastened parts are just the right width to cover the front of the body and fasten at the sides.

I don't think that makes sense though. If they were higher portions for the shoulders, there would be a lower section for the chest beyond them, but they are clearly on the ends.

They could cross over, one on top of the other. Double thickness on the front?

[Image: linothorax_rat.jpg]

I suppose that could work but it seems counter-intuitive.

it would however double up protection on the front, which is where you would want it.

hmmmmm.

I think we need Jason to publish his article.

Travis

Re: Spolas? "Subarmalis"? - Dan Howard - 05-27-2006

One thing that indicates a double-thickness front is the ptyruges. If they hang off the bottom of the cuirass then, when fastened closed, the front of the linothorax will have twice as many rows of ptyruges as the back.

How many linothoraxes have neckguards on the front? Throatguard? That's the result if it fastens in the middle. But if the protrusions are there to take the shoulder fastenings they make much more sense.

Re: Spolas? "Subarmalis"? - Jason Hoffman - 05-28-2006

Cant say i have seen any with anything that i would call a 'throatguard' there are differences in specific upper chest protection

Re: Spolas? "Subarmalis"? - tlclark - 05-28-2006

Yes, there are no throat guards, but they are lower under the arms. Your plan would chafe under the arms. The high portion comes together to cover the upper chest, not the throat.

Travis

Re: Spolas? "Subarmalis"? - Tarbicus - 05-28-2006

Okay, I see your points, I'll lock my keyboard in a drawer. :wink:

Re: Spolas? "Subarmalis"? - Vincula - 05-28-2006

Why is Tarbicus scheme incorrect, Travis?
Looks OK to me.

Re: Spolas? "Subarmalis"? - Tarbicus - 05-28-2006

Vincula, it's because there are no recesses where the armpits would be, and Jason and perhaps Travis seem to have seen linothoraxes where there is an upwards outcrop to protect the upper chest below the throat (at least that's the impression I get).

Like this (connect the coloured dots).

[Image: linothorax_rat2.jpg]

Re: Spolas? "Subarmalis"? - Jason Hoffman - 05-29-2006

Yes, Your design also has problems in the back nearly all linothorax have small flaps at the sides and a collar peice intergrated.

Re: Spolas? "Subarmalis"? - Tarbicus - 05-29-2006

I wouldn't take it as an exaustive piece of research, more a 5 minute diagram highlighting which part could have been tied to which :wink:

Re: Spolas? "Subarmalis"? - tlclark - 05-29-2006

Dog pile on Jim!! :lol: