RomanArmyTalk
Rome vs Japan - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Rome vs Japan (/showthread.php?tid=6276)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Re: Rome vs Japan - Tiberius Claudius Vindex - 08-15-2006

My hasta's got a 6 foot reach and is light and easy to use, plus if he gets in close I can use my clipius as a battering weapon until I get my sword out.

Re: Rome vs Japan - Narukami - 08-15-2006

Quote:I've only been arguing it for a samurai vs byzantine knight match up for 8 pages now!
Confusedhock: :lol: :roll:

besides, this is OT. If we wanted to we could match up a samurai with a clone trooper. Big Grin

(I'd pick the samurai in that one!)

Samurai vs Clone Trooper... :?

But are not the Jedi really space samurai and the clone troopers their ashigaru?

So actually it should be a Jedi vs a samurai...

Shades of Super Star Death Match.

Now we really are off topic.:wink:

(If I remember correctly, the Shore Leave episode of the original Star Trek had an appearance by a samurai in full armor. I think it was Capt. Kirk, running to save a member of his crew, who, when confronted by the samurai, simply knocked him over and kept on going.)

More to the point, your are quite right TLC, a Byzantine vs samurai might be a closer match, and a knight of the Hundred Years War even closer.

Even so, Jedi vs samurai...I like the sound of that.

:wink:

Narukami

Re: Rome vs Japan - tlclark - 08-16-2006

Quote:So actually it should be a Jedi vs a samurai...

Shades of Super Star Death Match.

Not really, unless the fabled Katana can repulse a light saber. (Y'know, I'm sure that somewhere on some board, two people have actually had that argument!:rollSmile

Quote:(If I remember correctly, the Shore Leave episode of the original Star Trek had an appearance by a samurai in full armor. I think it was Capt. Kirk, running to save a member of his crew, who, when confronted by the samurai, simply knocked him over and kept on going.)

So that's a vote for the "legionaire" column dontcha think?

Quote:More to the point, your are quite right TLC, a Byzantine vs samurai might be a closer match, and a knight of the Hundred Years War even closer.

I notice that you didn't take sides in that match up however. :wink:

Travis

Re: Rome vs Japan - Magnus - 08-16-2006

Hi Ben,

Katana don't chop, they cut and slice. And yes, they can stab as well.

The auxiliary would be a far better match up, IMO.

And Travis, I don't care who or what you are, no one, and I mean NO ONE stands up to Captain Kirk!

In fact, Kirk has been known to devastate entire armies on his own.

Re: Rome vs Japan - Narukami - 08-17-2006

TLC,

Magnus is quite right -- "...NO ONE stands up to Captain Kirk!"

To his credit his middle name is Tiberius so perhaps you have a point there in saying the Roman would defeat the samurai.

On the other hand...

In the Bread And Circuses episode Kirk, with the help of his crew of course, is directly responsible for the fall of yet another Roman Empire. At least that is the indication at the episode's close.

So even the Romans could not stop James Tiberius Kirk.

But I fear that I digress WAY off topic.

As to the Late Romano Knight...

I stick to my original post. In a one-on-one fight I would give the edge to the samurai, but in an army vs. army battle I would side with the legion.

Many good arguments have been made for both sides over these past nine pages (and a couple of strange ones too) but I'll hold with my first choice. Of course, as in all encounters there are variables within variables that can change the out come from moment to moment.

How often in history has chance, simple luck good or bad, changed the out come of a battle.

If Barbarossa had not fallen from his horse and drown in a few inches of water would the out come of the Third Crusade have been different? We will never know for certain.

What really surprises me is that this thread still lives.

TLC, did you consider including this in your RAT Hot Topic Poll?

Narukami

Re: Rome vs Japan - MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 08-17-2006

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...........

I am not going to totally off topic this one just because I am a Warsie, and not a Trekkie.....and it is well known these two groups are at war.... Wink plus I am a 501st member....... Dutch outpost...

[Image: trooper2.jpg]

However...... the analogy of jedi and clones is a correct one... Lucas himself stated many times he has been inspired by samurai history, design, bushido, honour, and the director kurosawa for that matter..

By the way, in the High Tec near future , this could well be possible!!! :

[Image: ducksw.gif]

[Image: kendo-actionsw.jpg]

AND NOW BACK ON TOPIC ONEGAI SHIMASU!!!!!

PS: Magnvs... did you get my pm about the menpo yes or no?

M.VIB.M.

Re: Rome vs Japan - tlclark - 08-17-2006

David/Magnus

Must concede the Kirk point. Kirk is the man!

( TOTALLY irrelevant side post. There are rumors that Matt Damon will reprise the role of Kirk in a prequel to the original series! )

HJ

The Warsi's had a claim to be better than the Trekkies before George lucas made the second(first?) trilogy. :wink:

Now here's a real match up:

Orion Slave Girl vs. Leia in her "Jabba's slave girl outfit"

And for he ladies:

Kirk vs. Han Solo
(Sorry Skywalker fans, he's just not in the running Cry )

Where was I? Oh yes the topic!!

There is a brief interchange of Latin crusaders and the byzantine knights of Trebizond, (The empire in exile during the Latin occupation). In all cases the latins were stunned at the effectiveness of byz. lamellar armor.

Once a latin ran a greek down with a lance. He was knocked down but popped up unharmed.

Had it not been for treachery, betrayal and fighting a war of attrition against several much larger enemies with much larger economic bases, the byzantines would be here still!

I give the byzantine knights a slight edge over samurais ...why? Well, they're byzantines. They fight dirty. :twisted:

Travis

Re: Rome vs Japan - Narukami - 08-17-2006

Gentlemen,

At the risk of straying even further off topic (and what better place to do that than here...) I should point out that although I do remember the old Star Trek series (and fondly) and enjoyed the Star Trek films (well, most of them) I could not be considered a Treker, or Trekie, or Star Fleet Fellow Traveler. One look at my grandson's room and the Clone Army currently in residence there would announce to one and all that I am much more deeply entrenched in the Star Wars camp than the Star Trek dock. (And yes, Episodes I-III were a disappointment to say the least, but then the animated Clone Wars were pretty good and go along way to redeeming the entire prequel cycle.

Yes the Japanese influences on Star Wars are quite evident and very deep. I once opened a lecture I gave on Zen and the Samurai by reading the passage from Star Wars when Ben Kenobi teaches Luke how to use a light saber as they travel to Alderaan aboard the Falcon. That hooked several of the students, which was of course the point.

As to your Celebrity Death Match card TLC...

Princess Leia -- What a costume! Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: And she knows how to use a chain.

Han Solo -- After all he DID shoot first, and he always will.

Narukami

Re: Rome vs Japan - MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 08-17-2006

SAIKOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

:lol:

M.VIB.M.

Re: Rome vs Japan - Magnus - 08-17-2006

Marcus, yeah, I got your pm. Thanks a lot...I am still not sure if I'm going to buy a kabuto or make one...I wish some of the indian companies made japanese gear...lol.

MATT DAMON AS KIRK?

Could very well work...but man....how are they going to make that look even? Will it have the heavy 70's influence in the uniforms and colour? Will Matt speak like Kirk did?

Re: Rome vs Japan - Tiberius Geracius - 08-18-2006

Ave,

By the gods what have I done. I have turned a simple question into a long drawn out and some times off topic argument.

I mean no offence by this, but the problem with most people these days is that they watch too much tv. With my friend he mostly knows the trash that animes and movies show about samurai. Thats how this hole argument started with him and I. When I go to conventions (historical and fantasy) some people ask me what I am. When I say that I am a Roman the laugh, but when some guy shows up with a katana and something resembling a samurais suit of armor everyone goes crazy over it. Marcv I must salute your knowledge and historical accruacy with your kit. It makes me sad when I see these anime (though there is nothing wrong with anime) nuts who discrace the true history of the samurai. They were men just like a Legionary and Templar.

Re: Rome vs Japan - Narukami - 08-18-2006

Tiberius,

It is, my friend, the law of unintended consequences at its finest.

Once the door is open abandon all hope and reason ye who enter here.

However...

This has been a great topic, both fun and informative.

I for one have discovered that several of our fellow legionaries are well educated scholars of pre-modern Japan, and it has confirmed that most of the members here are well read students of military history. They are astute, sharp and ever mindful of the limits to what we can truly know.

Perhaps most importantly, they have a good sense of humor as well.

By the gods it was an excellent topic Tiberius -- points to you! Smile

Narukami

Re: Rome vs Japan - tlclark - 08-18-2006

Quote:Ave,

By the gods what have I done. I have turned a simple question into a long drawn out and some times off topic argument.

How dare you create a fun and interesting topic! Don't you know we are serious!!

I shall have to punish you by giving you a laudes!! :evil: :wink:

Travis

Re: Rome vs Japan - MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 08-18-2006

Tiberivs Thank you! Indeed i have seen some morons dressed up in anime/manga samurai gear, of which even LARPers got sick....

Not that i dont get sick of Larpers who portray orcs and elves and are too much into the "floating way of life" too much esoteric stuff i mean......

I do like the serious historic re enactors, especially when they sometimes do silly stuff... for instance wearing a crista transversa on a stormtrooper helmet etcetera...

M.VIB.M.

Re: Rome vs Japan - MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 08-27-2006

I dont know why but the auto warn function which informs me of new postings doesnt work....

any ideas?

M.VIB.M.