RomanArmyTalk
Centurions armor - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Centurions armor (/showthread.php?tid=6481)

Pages: 1 2

Centurions armor - Woadwarrior - 08-12-2006

what armor, or clothes did an ACUAL ROMAN (not reenactors) centurion wear?

did it vary over the decades?

any photos?

Re: Centurions armor - Jona Lendering - 08-12-2006

Our reenactors must know this better, but from what I have read, I know that they had the sword to their left side and carried a stick. Here's a photo of a tombstone, note the stick:
[Image: 5kalkriese49.jpg]

Re: Centurions armor - Vlad the Impala - 08-12-2006

or this chappie

[url:tjm66ugz]http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/option,com_imagebase/task,view/cid,50/Itemid,94/[/url]

or for someone a tad later

[url:tjm66ugz]http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/option,com_imagebase/task,view/cid,98/Itemid,94/[/url]

Re: Centurions armor - Peroni - 08-12-2006

As for the types of armour, we know they wore scale and mail, but we have no evidence (yet) of the centurion wearing segmented plate armour.

It's quite possible they did, but it doesn't appear on any of the known grave stones.

Re: Centurions armor - Magnus - 08-12-2006

Reenactors usually make their gear based on historical evidence Woady my boy. That's why they're called reenactors.

Your continuous string of questions gets on people's nerves and makes you look like a lazy boy who expects everything brought to him! Do everyone a favor and use the search, use google!

Re: Centurions armor - Vlad the Impala - 08-12-2006

Quote:As for the types of armour, we know they wore scale and mail, but we have no evidence (yet) of the centurion wearing segmented plate armour.

It's quite possible they did, but it doesn't appear on any of the known grave stones.

problem is I cant think of anysoldiers represented on tombstones which are definately wearing seggie

????

Re: Centurions armor - Woadwarrior - 08-12-2006

are my questions doing any harm?
so did they basicall wore, a leather muscle cuirass, and those medalions?
cape?
and what about the helmet?

wowo i have never seen that tombstone it looks great!

Re: Centurions armor - Jona Lendering - 08-12-2006

Quote:are my questions doing any harm?
Of course not. Don't take the criticism too serious; you may perhaps try the search option first and try to find answers for yourself, but nobody has ever insulted someone by just asking questions.
Quote:wowo i have never seen that tombstone it looks great!
It's in the Rheinisches Landesmuseum in Bonn, Germany.

Re: Centurions armor - Praefectusclassis - 08-12-2006

And among the imagebase tombstones on the main site of this forum.

doing harm? - Caius Fabius - 08-12-2006

Have you read the story of the boy who cried "wolf". Sometimes asking so many questions, especially about topics that are already in the database, or are easily found through a little person research in books, or on the internet, may make it much harder to get people to help you when you have a reallly important or difficult question. They will look at the person who is asking the question and think, didn't hew already ask 1000 questions that were already answered somewhere, but he just didn't want to spend the time looking for himself? Then they'll ignore your very important question.

There is a saying that "there are no stupid questions", but that is not a valid saying. If you know how to read, and know how to use a library catalog and you are in a library with an encyclopedia, asking a librarian when New Jersey became a state is just plain lazy. The librarian may help you the first time, or even the fifth or sixth, but sooner or later, they will not help you, because you are presuming upon their good nature, and they have other things they want to do.

Just a thought for anyone who asks a question just because they can.

Re: Centurions armor - Woadwarrior - 08-12-2006

sigh
i just cant catch a break
i better just shut up

Re: Centurions armor - Martin Wallgren - 08-12-2006

Quote:sigh
i better just shut up

No don´t!

I feel like you sometimes and I am an groenup. Sometimes I get missunderstood out of the language barriers and sometimes because I´m swedish and we have a much more blunt way of expressing ourselves.

I have asked the questions you do many times to myself and others. And if I had have the guts to ask them at your age I would be a hell lot wiser today. Don´t give in. Just think your questions over ones or twise before you ask them. search in the old topics on this and other forums. And try to use a little bit more politnes in your questions. sometimes you come though somewhat cocky. I think that´s the problem. Forums also tend to distort the way people read what you type. You don´t show bodylanguage on the forum you know!

Just press preveiw first and read your post before you submit and try to figure out how people will react to your post.

Take care and happy knowlage hunting, friend...

Martin

Re: Centurions armor - Matt Lukes - 08-12-2006

Quote:sigh
i better just shut up

The trouble is that you just don't take advice or recognize that when you keep getting the same responses, perhaps there's a reason. You keep asking for absolutes despite being told time and time again that there are none. That just frustrates people. You also ask a whole bunch of at once, and ask the same things again and again in a thread which not only looks like you haven't bothered to try to learn things yourself but that you don't even bother to read or try to understand the replies. There's a simple way to address this- start by mentioning what you have found and what you've been unable to clarify so you want to ask- x,y,z. No one expects you to have access to all the books that might be suggested, but the web has a great variety of information sources, not to mention those here on the RAT Forum that will very often answer small questions or give data that will at least point you in the right direction. For example, with respect to this question, you could have looked at the tombstone database and found that a number of centuriones are pictured and some show various forms of armor. If you were then to say that you've found that there's evidence that centuriones seem to have worn both mail and scale, but that you wonder if anyone knows of the use of any other kinds of armor between, for example, the 1st century BC to the 2nd century AD, then I think people would respond much better. It shows that you're not just expecting others to do the work for you and you're not looking for everything ever learned about a subject.

One other thing- you very often write in such a way as to sound like you're insulting reenactors, which the majority of posters here are or would be if they could. Intentional or not, this is what it sounds like and you really should consider thinking about what you write before submitting it. Just saying that you don't mean to doesn't do it- you have to avoid a potential insult not just apologize for it. The way you wrote this question is a perfect example of a poor way of writing that can be taken the wrong way- especially given your past. It would have been far better: 'I'm interested in what direct evidence there is for what armor and clothing a centurio would have worn...' Then anyone providing information only about reenactors' garb wouldn't be properly answering the question as you asked for evidence.

Just think about it...

Re: Centurions armor - Matt Lukes - 08-13-2006

Quote:
Peroni:38dgvveb Wrote:As for the types of armour, we know they wore scale and mail, but we have no evidence (yet) of the centurion wearing segmented plate armour.

problem is I cant think of anysoldiers represented on tombstones which are definately wearing seggie

????

Quite so- I'm not familiar with a single tombstone showing segmented armor either. There's this one that shows a centurio wearing scale armor: [url:38dgvveb]http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/option,com_imagebase/task,view/cid,25/Itemid,94/[/url], as does this one: [url:38dgvveb]http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/option,com_imagebase/task,view/cid,81/Itemid,94/[/url]

Re: Centurions armor - Woadwarrior - 08-13-2006

ok listen, if you could actually hear me ask the questions, and my voice, and see my bodylanguage I wouldnt be an insult to you, and I really am not a mean person
I have to type as fast as possible
I dont know if my language is an insult to you, because I am not a reenactor
I will take your advice, I will try to be different
I just have to finish this quest
Ill be travelling the world looking for answers, I just thought this site is a great start at home.

and no offense really no offense, I am trying to do as much research as I can about the romans greeks, and the medieval era. I always read. And look up all kinds of sites
but to here an actual PERSONS opinion first hand is an exciting experience for me

Martin thank you so much, for keping my spirits up

Is there perhaps some other ancient rome forum I could pack up my troubles and go to?