RomanArmyTalk
Should spear shafts be tapered like a pool cue? - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Should spear shafts be tapered like a pool cue? (/showthread.php?tid=6566)

Pages: 1 2 3

Should spear shafts be tapered like a pool cue? - Sassanid - 08-19-2006

I have found an ash shaft supplier - and he has recommended that I have my shaft tapered, either from the bottom (like a pool cue - though perhaps not so exaggerated) or from the middle to the ends.

Now while I have no doubt this will improve the spear's handling - is there actually any evidence this was done? Either in the Roman or any other time. It is a new one on me and something I had never even considered before.

Many thanks,

Andrew

Re: Should spear shafts be tapered like a pool cue? - Marcus Mummius - 08-19-2006

I know a lot of javelins from ethnografic examples were tapered to make them more aerodynamic. I don't think it would be very useful to taper a thrusting spear.

Vale,

Re: Should spear shafts be tapered like a pool cue? - Matt Lukes - 08-19-2006

I don't see any adjustment in diameter being useful for short (<7') spears myself. For really long ones, I can see it being good for it to be increasingly thicker along its length so as not to bend excessively when held at the base (against a heavy horse charge or something), but tapered from the ends to the middle would actually CAUSE this. Indeed even modern throwing javelins are like this, so I can see why it might be suggested, but I know of no evidence to support the idea in Roman weapons. I believe only a few fragments of haft are known and those are associated with the tip or buttspike and aren't long enough to tell anything. They are, however, thick enough to show the weapon would have been quite sufficiently strong to have been of one diameter throughout its length I think. The one thing about tapers that is supported is that there was sometimes the ends of a haft were tapered near the ends- starting just before the socket of the tip or buttspike.

Re: Should spear shafts be tapered like a pool cue? - Marcus Mummius - 08-19-2006

I know arrows were sometimes tapered... I don't know if the Romans did this though...

Re: Should spear shafts be tapered like a pool cue? - Sassanid - 08-19-2006

Thanks Marcus/Matt,

I was was pretty sure there was no complete hafts found from the Roman period- but I did wonder if a head and matching butt spike had been found together? If so, that may have revealved someting - though not if the haft had tapered from the middle.

The type of spear I am having made is probably a throwing spear - the head is long and narrow and thicker at the bottom. Copied from an example found at Newstead, probably late 1st - early 2nd century AD.

Andrew

Re: Should spear shafts be tapered like a pool cue? - Hibernicus - 08-19-2006

I've tapered some pilum shafts and they fly much better!

Wider near the metal shaft...

Re: Should spear shafts be tapered like a pool cue? - LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 08-19-2006

Can you post some pics, please?

Re: Should spear shafts be tapered like a pool cue? - Lugorix - 08-20-2006

You mean like this? I think the term you'll find it refered to is "barreled".

[Image: spear1.jpg]

Re: Should spear shafts be tapered like a pool cue? - Lugorix - 08-21-2006

Thought I would add more now than just a picture. The light spears I use have small sockets, but are a little to big to be used as javelins.

So, instead of having a six foot shaft that is 3/4" the whole length, I 'barrel' the shaft as above. And Yes, the blunt, metal butt cap is correct for this spear. They were used in pre-Roman Britain, and there is another interesting style from Ireland.

It's very easy to construct. Just have to have a draw knife and the work goes fast. But watch out for splinters. :wink:

Re: Should spear shafts be tapered like a pool cue? - Dan Howard - 08-21-2006

No, not barrelled. Tapering a spear shaft so that it is thickest at the butt and thinnest behind the tip (like a pool cue) shifts its centre of balance so that it can be held further back allowing more of the spear to project out front. Apparently it also helps the spear sit more snugly in the palm. Mike Loades is a proponent of this type of thrusting spear shaft. I have no idea whether there is any archaeological or iconographical support for it. In addition, this type of spear shaft would be useless if thrown.

Re: Should spear shafts be tapered like a pool cue? - Marcus Mummius - 08-21-2006

Quote:No, not barrelled. Tapering a spear shaft so that it is thickest at the butt and thinnest behind the tip (like a pool cue) shifts its centre of balance so that it can be held further back allowing more of the spear to project out front. Apparently it also helps the spear sit more snugly in the palm. Mike Loades is a proponent of this type of thrusting spear shaft. I have no idea whether there is any archaeological or iconographical support for it. In addition, this type of spear shaft would be useless if thrown.

For a thrusting spear this makes sense to me but for a throwing spear?

Re: Should spear shafts be tapered like a pool cue? - Marcus Germanicus Ferox - 08-21-2006

Hi Andrew

You mention "other periods". I do Greek as well as Roman - My Dory is Circa 8'2" and is tapered from back to front - the butt end is thicker along with sarouter to balance the thing as it is held about 2' along from the butt.
Only a thrusting weapon though.

Hope that helps.

Mark.

Re: Should spear shafts be tapered like a pool cue? - Caballo - 08-21-2006

Sassanid,

Could you share your source of ash shafts (may be a pm?)? Few and far between!

Cheers

Caballo

Re: Should spear shafts be tapered like a pool cue? - Sassanid - 08-21-2006

Paul,

Email on its way.

Jeff,

I love the shape of your spear haft - barrelled it is then

Andrew

Re: Should spear shafts be tapered like a pool cue? - Robert Vermaat - 08-22-2006

Me too please?