RomanArmyTalk
Favorite Roman Lines in Movies - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Favorite Roman Lines in Movies (/showthread.php?tid=6958)

Pages: 1 2 3

Favorite Roman Lines in Movies - Matt Lukes - 09-27-2006

I was just watching Blackadder Back and Forth and there are some hysterical lines in the bit about the Romans on Hadrian's Wall:

"Just brilliant." "What oh Centurion?" "We're facing a horde of ginger maniacs with wild goats nesting in their huge orange beards, or to put it another way, the Scots, and how does our inspired leader Hadrian intend to keep out this vast army of lunatics? By building a three-foot-high wall..." :lol:

And:

"Say this is interesting- there appears to be a large, orange hedge moving towards us..." "That's not a hedge Consul, that's the Scots." :lol:

Any others anyone can come up with? Other than Gladiator that is :wink:

Re: Favorite Roman Lines in Movies - Narukami - 09-28-2006

Greetings Matt!

Several come to mind.

First, from I Claudius, when Livia is speaking to the gladiators who are about to participate in the games honoring her son Drusus. Her entire speech is great but the caper line takes the cake: "You are all scum and you know it, but you have a chance here some of you to prove you are a little bit more."

Second, from Monty Python's Life Of Brian which, like I Claudius, is full of great lines ("Watch yourself. We still have plenty of crosses left.") At work, whenever I need to correct an error on my part, I close out my e-mail with: "Throw him to the floor Centurion -- roughly!"

And finally, from Spartacus, when Crassus is preparing for the final battle his generals pledge him a glorious victory to which he responds: "I'm not after glory! I'm after Spartacus." That is a line I have used more than once.

Ah the Romans, whatever would we do without them? :wink:

Narukami

Re: Favorite Roman Lines in Movies - Jona Lendering - 09-28-2006

From Spartacus:
Quote:Corpulence makes a man reasonable, pleasant and phlegmatic. Have you noticed the nastiest of tyrants are invariably thin?
Jona (125 kg)

Re: Favorite Roman Lines in Movies - Paullus - 09-28-2006

Ben Hur has some good lines:

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. So row well, and live." - Arrius

"Hate keeps a man alive. It gives him strength." - Arrius

"A grown man knows the world he lives in. For the moment, that world is Rome. " - Pilate

"By condemning without hesitation an old friend, I shall be feared!" - Messala

No the most flattering portrayal of Romans, but it certainly makes them quite unflinching not to mention practical Wink

Re: Favorite Roman Lines in Movies - john m roberts - 09-28-2006

From "Demetrius and the Gladiators." Demetrius, a Christian, doesn't want to fight the psychopathic Dardanus. His Nubian friend advises him: "Kill him. Your god will thank you for it."

Re: Favorite Roman Lines in Movies - Marcus Germanicus Ferox - 09-28-2006

Hi guys

One of my favourites.... Kenneth Williams as Julius Caesar in Carry on Cleo....

"Infamy! Infamy!.... they've all got it in for me!!"

Regards

Mark.

Re: Favorite Roman Lines in Movies - Carlton Bach - 09-28-2006

My favourite Caesar quote:

"...then we wait until dawn."

"What happens at dawn, Caesar?"

"You don't know? The sun comes up."

I *think* it's from 'Caesar and Cleopatra', but I'm not sure.

Re: Favorite Roman Lines in Movies - Lepidina - 09-28-2006

There are the lines from I, Claudius, where Caesar is questioning all the men who have slept with his daughter.

C: Have you slept with my daughter?

Dude: Not slept, Caesar...

Re: Favorite Roman Lines in Movies - Matthew Amt - 09-28-2006

"Crucifixion? Good. Out the door, line on the left, one cross each!"

From "Life of Brian", of course. Composed mainly of good lines! Including, obviously, the whole section on "What have the Romans ever done for us?"

Matthew

Re: Favorite Roman Lines in Movies - Tarbicus - 09-28-2006

Quote:Composed mainly of good lines! Including, obviously, the whole section on "What have the Romans ever done for us?"

Bikini volleyball. It doesn't come more cultured than that.

Re: Favorite Roman Lines in Movies - Matt Lukes - 09-28-2006

LOL Much better than sanitation, the aqueduct, medicine, education, public order...

Re: Favorite Roman Lines in Movies - jbd_29349 - 09-28-2006

This qoute is from Julius Caesar:

Caesar: We will build a wall around the fort and strave them out.

Antony: No one as ever built a fortification of that link.

Caesar: Than we shall be the first.

This qoute is from the new version of Spartacus:

Spartacus: Break this arrow. (he hands it to Crikus and he easily breaks it, and throws it aside.)

Sparacus: Now break all of these at once. (Crikus tries multiple times and fails.) We are like the arrows divided we are nothing but together we are strong!

Re: Favorite Roman Lines in Movies - Restitvtvs - 09-28-2006

Quote:
Matthew Amt:74iib6eo Wrote:Composed mainly of good lines! Including, obviously, the whole section on "What have the Romans ever done for us?"

Bikini volleyball. It doesn't come more cultured than that.

Evidence:

[url:74iib6eo]http://www.galenfrysinger.com/bakini_girl_mosaics_sicily.htm[/url]

Re: Favorite Roman Lines in Movies - Narukami - 09-28-2006

Quote:This quote is from the new version of Spartacus:

Spartacus: Break this arrow. (he hands it to Crikus and he easily breaks it, and throws it aside.)

Spartacus: Now break all of these at once. (Crikus tries multiple times and fails.) We are like the arrows divided we are nothing but together we are strong!

Interesting...

That same scene can be found in Kurosawa's masterpiece Ran.

However, it ends differently, and to greater effect.

Narukami

Re: Favorite Roman Lines in Movies - Lepidina - 09-28-2006

I'm Spartacus!!!