RomanArmyTalk
Ben Hur movie clip needed - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Ben Hur movie clip needed (/showthread.php?tid=7192)

Pages: 1 2

Ben Hur movie clip needed - Praefectusclassis - 10-23-2006

Hi!
Since I detest Ben Hur, I haven't got it on DVD, although I apparently should. I need a clip (of a minute or so) from the naval battle scene for a lecture. Can anyone help me out?
Note: I know there are some on Youtube, but it seems not possible to download those - I need to have the clip on my USB stick.

Ben-Hur - Graham Sumner - 10-23-2006

Hi Jasper

I have some Film Stills from Ben-Hur including one of the naval battle and another showing all those slaves you like rowing! Are they any use for your lecture?

Graham.

Re: Ben Hur movie clip needed - Praefectusclassis - 10-23-2006

Sure, yes please, good stills will do, although a clip would be more spectacular.

Re: Ben Hur movie clip needed - Kate Gilliver - 10-23-2006

Hi Jasper. I have the 1925 AND the 1959 on dvd :lol:
I have absolutely no idea how to rip bits off dvds though. But if you want to pm me, they might just be up for holiday in the Netherlands. The 1925's in US format.

Re: Ben Hur movie clip needed - Praefectusclassis - 10-23-2006

Hi Kate,
That's very kind, but I need them for Wednesday. I should learn to prepare longer ahead... :wink:

Re: Ben Hur movie clip needed - Kate Gilliver - 10-23-2006

Yeah, I know the feeling about preparing ahead. Should have learned after 13 years in the job!!

Good luck with it anyway.

Re: Ben Hur movie clip needed - mcbishop - 10-23-2006

Quote:I need a clip (of a minute or so) from the naval battle scene for a lecture. Can anyone help me out?
Note: I know there are some on Youtube, but it seems not possible to download those - I need to have the clip on my USB stick.

No such words as 'not possible' in computing, though you won't catch me doing this sort of stuff. That's doesn't mean it's easy, though! Depends upon your level of desperation, I suppose.

Mike Bishop

Re: Ben Hur movie clip needed - Praefectusclassis - 10-24-2006

You're right of course Mike. But no, I'm not that desparate. Graham sent me some nice stills and I figured I can also use a clip from Master and Commander. :wink:

Re: Ben Hur movie clip needed - Primvs Pavlvs - 10-24-2006

Sorry to Hijack the Thread

Re: Ben Hur movie clip needed - TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS - 10-24-2006

If you have not found a solution yet, try this high quality Ben Hur trailer 50 Mb (quicktime file):

[url:3eikyfxd]http://www.movie-list.net/classics/ben-hur.mov[/url]

Vale,

Re: Ben Hur movie clip needed - Praefectusclassis - 10-24-2006

Thanks! That just might work! Big Grin

Re: Ben Hur movie clip needed - mcbishop - 10-25-2006

Quote:You're right of course Mike. But no, I'm not that desparate. Graham sent me some nice stills and I figured I can also use a clip from Master and Commander. :wink:

That's probably the lesser of two weevils...

Mike Bishop

Re: Ben Hur movie clip needed - Tarbicus - 10-25-2006

Quote:That's probably the lesser of two weevils...
Did you just watch Torchwood?

Ben-Hur - Graham Sumner - 10-25-2006

Quote:the lesser of two weevils...

That's a line from Master and Commander, Jim. Big Grin

I am still wondering how a clip from that film would be useful to Jasper if he couldn't t get hold of one from Ben-Hur? Are you about to enlighten us Jasper?

Graham.

Re: Ben Hur movie clip needed - Praefectusclassis - 10-26-2006

Since I've done the lecture now, yes, I can.
I explained why much older work on ancient naval warfare goes wrong, because our idea of what fleets should and can do is consciously and subconsciously dominated by our early modern and modern naval history. When 'we' think of fleet action it is almost inevitable that one thinks of booming broadsides. That's where Master and Commander comes in. When adapted to the ancient world you get sillyness like Ben Hur.