RomanArmyTalk
Ancient Warfare Magazine - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Romanarmy.com Projects (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Ancient Warfare Magazine (/showthread.php?tid=7198)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Any interest in including reconstruction HOW-TOs? - Neuraleanus - 10-25-2006

Something that would be of great interest to reenactors would be articles on the reconstruction of equipment. Is there any interest in including such articles?

Re: Ancient Warfare Magazine - Gaius_Calvus - 10-25-2006

Great point, Lee.

I was thinking of asking the same question. For instance, I think an article by Legio IX detailing their recent efforts to produce historical scuta would be of great help to the community at large.

In addition, a "Travel" section would be useful as well, including museum visits, locations of ancient Roman artifacts for the prospective traveller, archeological sites for the same reason, etc.

I for one am planning my next European vacation around Roman sites and museums, and articles of this type would be of great use to me.

As a military historian, I also have an idea for an article or two.

Vale

Calvus

Re: Ancient Warfare Magazine - Praefectusclassis - 10-25-2006

Hi Lee,
I know it would be. However, the magazine will not be focussed only on reenactors, simply because, in my estimation, the potential readership is too small to be that narrow. It would make the magazine an even bigger financial risk than it already is. I would like to include articles on the archaeology and history of equipment and their reconstruction, but the point of view of such an article would be different.

Re: Ancient Warfare Magazine - Gallus Marinus Micarius - 10-25-2006

I am interested! Subscriptions GALORE!

Re: Ancient Warfare Magazine - Hibernicus - 10-25-2006

As soon as you get your ad kit ready (ad sizes, placement etc etc) let me know

Articles:
.... maybe adopt JRMES submissions criteria?

Re: Ancient Warfare Magazine - Praefectusclassis - 10-25-2006

- Willdo Hib! Thanks for the interest.
- Gaius, sorry, didn't see your reply before. A travel section is certainly a good idea and please let me know your ideas, whether you want to write the article yourself or not.

Re: Ancient Warfare Magazine - Peroni - 10-25-2006

This sounds like a great opportunity! Count me in Jasper!

Myself and Caballo might have a few interesting articles to print. Big Grin

Re: Ancient Warfare Magazine - Caballo - 10-26-2006

Seconded!

Cheers

Caballo

Re: Ancient Warfare Magazine - Hibernicus - 10-27-2006

Jasper

I had a thought

Sometimes we take ourselves TOO seriously

Let's have a contest that runs on both RAT and in the new magazine.

It will be a contest for the best ahistorical picture, a photo depicting Romans in the wrong place in time sort of like this:
[Image: P1010123.gif]

Contestants will post pictures to a forum here at RAT, the best of that series will be published in the new magazine and one of the best of those will be selected the winner.

If this sounds like fun Leg IX Hispana and RLQM would like to sponsor such a contest and offer as First Prize a scutum blank, one of our new historic scutum blanks

Re: Ancient Warfare Magazine - Caballo - 10-27-2006

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
Forget the Marines and the SAS, send in the Legionaries!

Re: Ancient Warfare Magazine - Praefectusclassis - 10-28-2006

Hi Hib!
That's certainly worth considering. I'll see if I can plan it in.

Re: Ancient Warfare Magazine - Hibernicus - 10-28-2006

Jasper

Some years ago I was co-publisher and editor of a magazine, 35,000 national (USA) circulation, averaging 80+ pages, a landscape installation and maintenance trade/industry publication.

Some of our reader favorites were a comic strip, "Pirate Gardeners" and photo contest we ran each month.."What's Wrong with this Picture"..

Another thought...

Instead of sprinkling ads throughout the magazine, perhaps a "Sponsor's Section".. maybe in the middle..

Re: Ancient Warfare Magazine - Robert Vermaat - 10-28-2006

Quote:Instead of sprinkling ads throughout the magazine, perhaps a "Sponsor's Section".. maybe in the middle..

Good thinking! Then you can easily remove it (I wanted to say 'tear it out', but no.. 8) )...

Re: Ancient Warfare Magazine - Lothia - 10-29-2006

Ave Jasper,

Glad your magazine is soon to be up. Already sent my e-mail.

Thanks for the information about the other sites.
My computer went belly-up in the pond and I have been reinstalling stuff.

Tom

Re: Ancient Warfare Magazine - Et tu brute - 10-29-2006

I would certainly be interested!!! Will these be monthly issues?