RomanArmyTalk
Garara helmets - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Garara helmets (/showthread.php?tid=7527)

Pages: 1 2

Garara helmets - aitor iriarte - 11-24-2006

Again in search of help... :roll:
One friend has lent me the book 'Antike Helme'. After wading my way through heaps of Greek, Hellenistic, Celtic and Early Roman helmets (as beautiful as uninteresting for a Late Roman crank like me Tongue ) I found at the very end of the book two strange Late Roman helmets from Egypt.

They are preserved at Antikenmuseum in Berlin and they were purchased in 1911 alongside with a scale cuirass.

[Image: Garara-1a.jpg]

Leaving aside the fact that they are made of 'exotic' materials (Turtle, crocodile and camel hide Confusedhock: ) The way they are cosntructed seems to look pretty the same than more 'conventional helmets. The sewn-in goatsking guttering along the borders is partially preserved, so as the neckguard attachment by means of iron hooks.

Could any of our German fellow RATers take better colour pics and/or gather more information of these helmets and the locking-scale cuirass?

Many thanks in advance! Big Grin

Aitor

Re: Garara helmets - Antonius Lucretius - 11-24-2006

Fascinating. A leather version of the Deir el Medineh helmet...
I second Aitor. More information would be welcome.

Lascal Pabas

Re: Garara helmets - Publius Militiares - 11-24-2006

Do you mean this book?
Titel : Antike Helme
Hrsg./Bearb. : Pflug, Hermann ¬[Bearb.]
Beteiligte-Inst : Antikenmuseum <Berlin, West>
Rheinisches Landesmuseum <Bonn>
Untertitel : Antikenmuseum Berlin, Staatliche Museen Preussischer Kulturbesitz zu Gast im Rheinischen Landesmuseum Bonn ; [Landschaftsverband Rheinland, Rheinisches Landesmuseum Bonn, Ausstellung vom 7.9. bis 5.11.1989]

Re: Garara helmets - aitor iriarte - 11-24-2006

Hi Patrick, Big Grin
Yes, it is. Pages 541 and 542. It is clear that Pflug isn't acquainted at all with Late helmets. His description and measuremetns are correct but he doesn't realize how important the preserved original linings and attachments are. Not to mention that camel hide locking-scale. If the cuirass is decently preserved, it will be a real 'unicum', showing the way the armour was 'tailored' Confusedhock:

Well, landing again. The book isn't detailed enough for what I would need. Somebody should go to Berlin and check the items, I'm afraid... Confusedhock:

Aitor

Re: Garara helmets - Paulus Claudius Damianus - 11-25-2006

Strange Helmet...

Re: Garara helmets - aitor iriarte - 11-25-2006

Not so strange, Damien :wink:
If you forget about exotic materials, this one and its companion are aping Intercisa ridge helmets and we could use some detils about linings and suspensions to improve our reconstructions. Not to mention the scale cuirass, if we can get an eye on it! 8)

Aitor

Re: Garara helmets - Razor - 11-27-2006

Wow, fascinating indeed! Confusedhock: Any chance of showing us the second helmet? :roll:

Re: Garara helmets - aitor iriarte - 11-27-2006

Hi Thijs,
The other helmet is not so interesting as the first one... but your wihs is my command! :wink:

[Image: Garara-2.jpg]

Is there any helpful Berliner in the audience? 8)
Or you could, Late Romans, make a collect to finance me a travel to Berlin? Tongue

Aitor

helmets - Graham Sumner - 11-28-2006

Hello Aitor

Look at the front cover of 'Roman Army: Wars of the Empire', 1997. Big Grin

Graham.

Re: Garara helmets - aitor iriarte - 11-28-2006

Oh yes, Graham, that was it! :oops: Yesterday I was searching frentically in Osprey and Montvert books but I forgot yours...
I've received your PM. I'll reply tomorrow but, please, search on Google Earth Wâdi Garâra and you'll find it a lovely place... to drop yourself dead. Lots of crocodriles and a strong crocodrile cult there surely Tongue

Aitor

Re: Garara helmets - Razor - 12-02-2006

Great pics Big Grin

The second helmet looks somewhat like a 'Germanic' spangenhelm...

Re: Garara helmets - aitor iriarte - 12-02-2006

Is no one of our friendly German commilitones going to have a trip to Berlin in a near future? :wink:

Aitor

Re: Garara helmets - Publius Militiares - 12-02-2006

From my position its a bit far to berlin (500km)
I think i will not be there until next spring for the marriage of a friend.
Nevertheless i would be happy to see these things, especially the armour!

Re: Garara helmets - aitor iriarte - 12-03-2006

Thanks, Patrick! Big Grin
(Anyway, a wedding is not the best occassion to examine things cool-minded... Tongue )

Anybody else nearer the spot? 8)

Aitor

Re: Garara helmets - TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS - 12-06-2006

I dont't know if you know this roman crocodile helmet and cuirass from Egypt (British Museum):

[Image: crococuirass1.jpg]

[Image: crococuirass2.jpg]

Valete,