RomanArmyTalk
Cataphract armour - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Cataphract armour (/showthread.php?tid=7790)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Cataphract armour - Paulus Claudius Damianus - 12-17-2006

Hello everybody!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/ ... /e014a.jpg

I participate to the conception of François Gilbert's new book dedicated to the late Roman army. François Gilbert is the author for the French publishing "Errances" of " The Roman soldier at the end of the Republic and under the Early-Empire " and " Legionary and Auxiliary under Early-Empire " He is also the president of the group Pax Augusta.

He saw the image of this beautiful cataphractus, he would like to know how to contact him and obtain exclusive pictures.

Know you who is this man and how to contact him?

Bye!

Re: Cataphract armour - Robert Vermaat - 12-17-2006

Hi Damien,

The minute we are told who he is I will tell it on your forum too, as i did with that picture... :wink:

Re: Cataphract armour - Richomeres - 12-18-2006

Robert,

where are you getting this mass of information? Are you sleeping at all, or working or doing anything apart from digging for info.....? Confusedhock:

I made a couple of lamellar cuirasses. These things get fairly rigid to make them more flexible you either have to loosen the laces in certain areas, as shown on the pictures, or you leave a small strip of the belly free and patch that up with chain mail.

Just my two pence...

Cheers,

Helge

Re: Cataphract armour - Robert Vermaat - 12-19-2006

Quote:Robert,
where are you getting this mass of information? Are you sleeping at all, or working or doing anything apart from digging for info.....? Confusedhock:

Hi Helge,
What information? About that cataphract? Just what people tell me, but right now that's nothing at all! Big Grin

Re: Cataphract armour - Peter Raftos - 12-19-2006

From memory he is an Australian re-enactor from Queensland and we saw his kit for the first time at the Armidale Easter Gathering earlier this year. I will try and obtain contact details for RAT.

More images:

[Image: event_404938.jpeg]

Re: Cataphract armour - aitor iriarte - 12-19-2006

Wow! Confusedhock:

Aitor

Re: Cataphract armour - Marcus Germanicus Ferox - 12-19-2006

Hi Guys

Have been reading this with interest... I am currently in the process of putting a Sarmatian impression together for 2007. Helmet nearly finished, sword on the way and was going to use Ivan's pattern for Lamellar with some adjustments or additions for thigh protection. Anyone got any comments/ hints/advice/info/help (constructive please gents or ladies) for this. Can't find anything re: shields... late romanish maybe?

Mark.

Quote:Have been reading this with interest... I am currently in the process of putting a Sarmatian impression together for 2007. Helmet nearly finished, sword on the way and was going to use Ivan's pattern for Lamellar with some adjustments or additions for thigh protection.

Hi Mark,

Have you seen these drawings already?
http://111935.aceboard.fr/111935-675-12 ... rmates.htm

What period are you looking for? Late Roman shields, but smaller round ones, I suppose? And could you show us images of the helmet?

I found yet another one!!!

Re: Cataphract armour - Robert Vermaat - 12-20-2006

Hi guys, I found out who our ‘mystery cataphract’ is:

His name is Warren Lambley who unfortunately at the moment lives in a rural area abut an hour and a half outside Brisbane and does not have a working PC, my contact has promised to forward my enquiry on to him when he sees him in a couple of weeks. He is a member of Lion Rampant which is actually a late c14th re enactment group based in Brisbane Queensland. My contact also belongs to about a dozen guys who also have a 5th -7th century impression where they form a sub Roman/ Germanic comitatus which they jokingly call ‘Hasta Amorica’.

The gear Warren is wearing in photos is mostly made by him as he is a full time armourer. The saddle is one that was originally made for the television series Roar, another of the ‘comitatus’ members made the late roman military belt fittings and buckles that he is wearing.

I’ve invited them to join us on RAT, of course. Big Grin

Re: Cataphract armour - aitor iriarte - 12-20-2006

Well done, Robert! 8)

Aitor

Re: Cataphract armour - spyros - 12-20-2006

Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock:
Now that I call impressive!

Re: Cataphract armour - Nicholas Gaukroger - 12-22-2006

I'd be interested in knowing from this guy as to how much all that kit slows down the horse - if at all.

If anyone knows or could ask him I'd be grateful Big Grin

Re: Cataphract armour - Robert Vermaat - 12-22-2006

Quote:I'd be interested in knowing from this guy as to how much all that kit slows down the horse - if at all.
If anyone knows or could ask him I'd be grateful Big Grin

Interesting question. I sure will.

Re: Cataphract armour - Conal - 12-22-2006

What about the horses kneck?