RomanArmyTalk
Show your roman belts? - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show your roman belts? (/showthread.php?tid=8048)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Re: Show your roman belts? - Kai - 03-17-2012

Wow, good stuff here! But 9 months since the last 3rd century belt was shown... got to change that :mrgreen:

[attachment=3387]cingulum1.JPG[/attachment]
[attachment=3388]cingulum2.JPG[/attachment]

Yes, the good old felix-utere-lettering on stiched and doubled leather.

regards

Re: Show your roman belts? - Gaius Julius Caesar - 03-17-2012

Very Nice Kai!
I'm jealous! Smile

Re: Show your roman belts? - Rado - 03-17-2012

This is an amazing work Kai!

Re: Show your roman belts? - Robert Vermaat - 03-18-2012

VERY nice one Kai!

Re: Show your roman belts? - Virilis - 03-18-2012

Laudes Kai!

Re: Show your roman belts? - Kai - 03-18-2012

Thank you all!
I should say that the metal fittings came from Holger Ratsdorf and the actual belt was made by Rene Lucas, who also made the balteus and the scabbard you see. (I lack time and talent...).
regards

Re: Show your roman belts? - Gaius Julius Caesar - 03-19-2012

Just like me then..lol

Re: Show your roman belts? - Claudius Cirrus - 04-18-2012

This is my belt: a combination of Risstissen plates and Kalkriese

Re: Show your roman belts? - Titus Marius Secundus - 04-19-2012

That is a BEAAAUTY!!! I love the work of art on this belt Claudius. DID YOU MAKE IT!?! This with the copper rivets is true inspiration for anyone to make one themselves. Very good job whoever made this!! I also like the brass decor on the apron, very different but also nice and an attractive idea, if you want to be different. Could this be used on a belt with ring designs?

Regards, Sam

Re: Show your roman belts? - ANTONIVS MAGNVS - 04-27-2012

Well this is just great...I just made more work for myself!

I bought some tinning paste today and experimented on some pieces of brass. After learning the right mixture of paste and heat the results are just amazing. So now I've decided to take apart my belt and tin everything! Also got a set of Raymond's Quiet Press pugio holders so they will get tinned and go on at the same time. While I'm at it I might as well make an apron...Pictures to follow in the next few days.

Re: Show your roman belts? - Magnus - 04-27-2012

Jay, is it the Oatey #95 solder paste?

Re: Show your roman belts? - ANTONIVS MAGNVS - 04-27-2012

Yes, I couldn't find just paste, it's a paste/flux mix but it works pretty nicely. I tinned it twice letting it cool down between each application.

Re: Show your roman belts? - Magnus - 04-27-2012

That should be fine, just watch it because it's such a super thin layer...I found this other stuff on ebay that has even more solder in it than the oatey...but it's an even smaller container than what I've been able to find at Rona/Home Depot for the Oatey.

Re: Show your roman belts? - ANTONIVS MAGNVS - 05-10-2012

Finally some pics. I tinned every other plate on my belt and part of the buckle. As I'm changing plates I'm also changing the rivets which have a smaller head. I also tinned my puggio holders (only the disc) and I've changed the strap so that the puggio is level with the belt rather than hanging down.

Re: Show your roman belts? - ANTONIVS MAGNVS - 05-12-2012

Quote:
Quote:"Would it have anything to do with apron studs with rivets passing through them?"

Give this man a cigar! Got it in one! I think it looks tacky, and it didn't appear so obvious in the website when I ordered it! So many mistakes, so little time........

There's an example shown in Bishop "The early imperial apron" 1992
which appears to have rivet which passes through the disc.
[Image: apronstud2.jpg]

I've decided to make an apron. I'm awaiting some plain brass discs to come in the mail and was wondering about attaching them with a copper rivet through the middle and then tinning the entire disc/rivet. Would this be acceptable seeing the above cited reference? If not would a soldered post on the back be strong enough?