RomanArmyTalk
Ancient Warfare magazine & the Greeks - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Greek Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Ancient Warfare magazine & the Greeks (/showthread.php?tid=8085)

Pages: 1 2

Ancient Warfare magazine & the Greeks - Praefectusclassis - 01-17-2007

Hi all,
I'd like to call on the members of this section especially to suggest themes and feature articles for Ancient Warfare magazine. I can make up Roman ones in my sleep, but Greece is not my specific area of interest.
Either post your suggestions here or send them to Editor@*NOSPAM*ancient-warfare.com.
Feel free to spread the news to other forums or newsgroups, of course.

Re: Ancient Warfare magazine & the Greeks - hoplite14gr - 01-17-2007

We can develop the Shield devices subject I guess.
I believe people would be interested in that.
Kind regards

Re: Ancient Warfare magazine & the Greeks - Tarbicus - 01-17-2007

The development of the different armours, helmets and weapons, with clear diagrams and drawings, and when they were in use. Or better still, take a different Greek state per issue, and show how they would have looked, what they got up to, in a clear defined linear timeline.

It gets very confusing sometimes, and it would be great to have a simple and straightforward reference for once.

Re: Ancient Warfare magazine & the Greeks - Virilis - 01-17-2007

Yes, perhaps it could be best to start with the basics, this will spawn more specific questions automatically in the future. It would also update/summarize our current knowledge in one place too, not scattared all over the cyperspace :wink: ...

Re: Ancient Warfare magazine & the Greeks - Praefectusclassis - 01-17-2007

Thanks for the suggestions. Let me be a little been more specific: I would like suggestions for battles, campaigns, wars, units, troop-types and generals. Those type of suggestions are what I am looking for.

Some of those ideas should perhaps be spin-offs...hmmm
8)

Re: Ancient Warfare magazine & the Greeks - hoplite14gr - 01-17-2007

An article on the shield devices of the ancient marines with accompanying artwork.
An article on the shield devices of the "elite" units with accompanying artwork.
Everybody probably will ofcource say Spartan shield emblems but what other city states would people like to see?

Kind regards

Re: Ancient Warfare magazine & the Greeks - MeinPanzer - 01-17-2007

Quote:Thanks for the suggestions. Let me be a little been more specific: I would like suggestions for battles, campaigns, wars, units, troop-types and generals. Those type of suggestions are what I am looking for.

Some of those ideas should perhaps be spin-offs...hmmm
8)

Does this extend to the Hellenistic period and the armies of the various Hellenistic kingdoms?

Re: Ancient Warfare magazine & the Greeks - Praefectusclassis - 01-18-2007

Yup, it certainly does. Big Grin

Re: Ancient Warfare magazine & the Greeks - MeinPanzer - 01-18-2007

Quote:Yup, it certainly does. Big Grin

Well, then I have various articles that I have been planning on writing. Some of these I mentioned to you before in some of my earlier questions about the magazine.

A) "The Bithynian army in the late Hellenistic period." This one would be fairly substantial, and would cover all aspects of the army. I've already completed about three quarters of this article

B) "The Cavalry of the Republican Roman Army."

C) "The Evolution of Arms and Armour in the Northern Black Sea Area from Hellenistic to Roman Imperial Times"

D) "The Alexandrian Stelai and the Ptolemaic Army of the Third Century BC."

E) "The Elite Cavalry of Western Asia Minor in the Hellenistic Period."

F) "The 'Greek' Ribbed Cavalry Shield in the Hellenistic World."

I can also write any number of topics on specific elements of Hellenistic armies. Just name some areas of interest with concern to single troop types or equipment and I could write articles about them.

Re: Ancient Warfare magazine & the Greeks - Aryaman2 - 01-18-2007

Hi Jasper
I have emailed you a paper I have written on the battle of Magnesia, I hope it fits the required specifications.
Regards

Re: Ancient Warfare magazine & the Greeks - S SEVERUS - 01-18-2007

suggestions :

1 - The army organization, history of the army, battles ... of the Ptolemies

2 - The army organization, history of the army, battles ... of the Seleucid's

3 - Battles of the Diadochi

4 - Galatia and it's neighbors

5 - Syracuse contra Carthage

Re: Ancient Warfare magazine & the Greeks - Jason Hoffman - 01-18-2007

I have been working on a book about the development and history of the Linothorax, would be willing to flesh out an article if so desired.

Jason Hoffman

Re: Ancient Warfare magazine & the Greeks - Praefectusclassis - 01-19-2007

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'll start making a big list. Big Grin

Re: Ancient Warfare magazine & the Greeks - Ioannis - 01-19-2007

One more: "Athens' Biggest Fiasco: The Sicilian Expedition".

Re: Ancient Warfare magazine & the Greeks - Felix Canus - 01-19-2007

In all the studies about Roman Auxiliaries, I have heard next to nothing about the Auxiliaries recruited in Greece and Macedon. Where they served, in what campaigns, what garrisons, and so on.