RomanArmyTalk
Modifying pilum for an \'authentic\' look! - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Modifying pilum for an \'authentic\' look! (/showthread.php?tid=8947)

Pages: 1 2

Modifying pilum for an \'authentic\' look! - Gaius Julius Caesar - 04-05-2007

I have a Paul Chen Pilum, which I am in the middle of modifying.
Sanded off the wood stain, and found some steel bar and washers to replace the 'removeable' pins connecting the shaft to the flanged point!

Any objections?

Re: Modifying pilum for an \'authentic\' look! - Peroni - 04-05-2007

Sounds like a good move Byron. Big Grin

I'd recommend three rivets instead of the Chen two and don't use perfectly circular washers. Square or at least rough-cut would be better.

Re: Modifying pilum for an \'authentic\' look! - Tarbicus - 04-05-2007

Are wood dowels to hold the metal in place an option?

Re: Modifying pilum for an \'authentic\' look! - Gaius Julius Caesar - 04-05-2007

Well, could only find some large round ones, so the plan is to grind them square with the dremel!

Not sure if the is enough room between the original 2 holes to make a third one, without weakening the wood? The holes as is need modification, being different sizes to accomodate the pin setup from the removeable ones, and as I don't have a bench with a vise, I am a little worried about making a botchjob if I were to try to drill another one...... :? roll:
Mind you, I could be less of a prima-donna, and go for it!! :lol: :lol:

But it would look good, I have seen Armillums new pilums, with the three pins! 8)

Re: Modifying pilum for an \'authentic\' look! - Gaius Julius Caesar - 04-05-2007

Well I have just bought a blowtorch to anneal the steel pins, so am going to try to peen the ends that way! Also, as it is so well balanced, I am dying to chuck it at something, and would brobably spend a lot of time replaceing wooden dowels! But I know where your coming from Tarb!

Now in search of a small anvil.....

Re: Modifying pilum for an \'authentic\' look! - Magnus - 04-05-2007

Got any pics Byron?

Quote:Got any pics Byron?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: Read laugh of the insane......

nope, but will try to get some. Need to get moving tho...

Re: Modifying pilum for an \'authentic\' look! - LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 04-05-2007

Remember. To anneal the iron/steel, you have to let the metal to get cold very slowly. If you can put it into some carbon/ashes burning, and let the carbon with the iron inside get cold, iron will be soft as butter!

Re: Modifying pilum for an \'authentic\' look! - Marcus Mummius - 04-05-2007

Byron, Is it one of those pila with a colet integral to the iron shank? If so beware of throwing it too much. I once bought one of those in a souvenir shop and after throwing it around for about 5 times I had to stop because I could tell it was going to break...

This is what I mean by the colet being integral to the shank: [Image: 115PDSP159F.jpg]

Re: Modifying pilum for an \'authentic\' look! - Hibernicus - 04-05-2007

Don't use steel pins..

Use wrought head nails (in the USA: ROCKLER wood working) ..2" shank.

Or use common nails. 2" box nail ought to do.

Place the nail in a vice to hammer the head, give it texture.

Don't worry about peening the opposite end. Lots of ends were crimped or layed flat.

Don't use modern washers and reshape them. Make a few square roves from scrap steel or brass. After your cut them out with shears or a chisel hammer them.

Punch a small hole just large enough to fit on the end of the "nail" and drive the rove home with a rivet setter or old circular punch.

Quote:Don't use steel pins..

Use wrought head nails (in the USA: ROCKLER wood working) ..2" shank.

Or use common nails. 2" box nail ought to do.

Place the nail in a vice to hammer the head, give it texture.

Don't worry about peening the opposite end. Lots of ends were crimped or layed flat.

Don't use modern washers and reshape them. Make a few square roves from scrap steel or brass. After your cut them out with shears or a chisel hammer them.

Punch a small hole just large enough to fit on the end of the "nail" and drive the rove home with a rivet setter or old circular punch.

,this sounds good, in fact I actually eyed some nails, thinking about what someone had said about using nail wire or wire nails for certain things. Nut don't have a work bench or a vise, which is why I was going to go for the anvil and hammer route, trying to make a head o one end, and dong as you suggested with the other! Was having a hard time finding good sheet iron/steel to do what you suggested, which was my plan, but perhaps when I get back from work next week, I will have more luck!

@Jef - Yes that is the very pilum, not as good as it appears then? ahh well!

Where was it going to break, the metal or the wood?

Regards and thanks for all the help, all of you!

Re: Modifying pilum for an \'authentic\' look! - Hibernicus - 04-05-2007

How much was the pilum in the photo selling for?

Can't remember what Armae were selling it for back then, which is about a year and a half ago! Right now it is advertised at 120euros, so maybe 110 back then, can't be sure!

Re: Modifying pilum for an \'authentic\' look! - jvrjenivs - 04-05-2007

Quote:How much was the pilum in the photo selling for?

www.armae.com/antiquite/115bouclierslances.htm#ferlance
Site tells 120 euro's, so with RAT discount 96 euro's.

I wasn't a rat member then! Live and learn...... :wink: :roll: