RomanArmyTalk
making an aspis - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Greek Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: making an aspis (/showthread.php?tid=8966)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Re: making an aspis - Magnus - 04-09-2007

Excellent Job! The paint looks awesome. Especially on that Boeotian.

Re: making an aspis - Anonymous - 04-09-2007

Yes, outstanding work!

Re: making an aspis - M. Demetrius - 04-10-2007

Great job! Could we see a profile of the aspis?

Re: making an aspis - Chris B - 04-10-2007

Thanks. I'll have to take pictures of it from a profile view as I do not have any on this computer. I can probably get to it soon, and I'll put the picture up.

Re: making an aspis - M. Demetrius - 04-10-2007

That would be great. And here's a laud for your effort!

Re: making an aspis - Steve Lenz - 04-10-2007

That´s a f... cool boeatian shield!!! Confusedhock:

Veeeery nice painting(s)! I´ve painted my one in more simple style, because of the fact, that the 3 aspis (How´s the plural here? :roll: :oops: ) are targets for schooting tests (arrows, javelins,...).

Re: making an aspis - Dan Diffendale - 04-10-2007

Quote: 3 aspis (How's the plural here?

aspides

Yeah. I am a joke now among my martial arts students. I keep telling them....no really, I am not making any other shields after this one. The problem is, I keep making one with the intent to use it and abuse it, but then love the way it turns out so it ends up being a work of art on my office wall as opposed to a tool to use. Now 22 different shields later (Scutum, Aspis, Boeotian, Viking Round Shield, Kite, Templar, Hospitillar, 5 Family Coats of Arms, 4 Heaters, Scottish Targe, and 5 shields for my kids) and I still do not have one to abuse. My eight year old son told my wife that he thinks I should make a heater and splatter paint it so I won't feel bad about destroying it. These were the last two I intended to "use"......I think I am just going to buy a cheap piece of crap to learn sword and shield.

Re: making an aspis - Magnus - 04-10-2007

Do you airbrush these or do them by hand?

I do them all by hand. I use paint marker for the fine detailed edges because I have found that the brushes are very difficult to keep from running on cloth. Then I use a small brush to slowly make the lines thicker and to overlap the penmark to keep the edges cleanly defined. Then I take a large brush and finish the main area. Like on the shield with the griffin. I painted it solid white. Then I drew the design on the shield. Then I outlined the griffin in purple and painted all purple on the shield. Then I did the same for the gold. Then I went back and added the detail with black paint on the griffin and stars. So most the shield is hand brushed, but a paint pen is used to keep the edges sharp where I have trouble.

Demetrius,

I have this picture from a more top angle which shows more of its profile.

Re: making an aspis - Robert Vermaat - 04-11-2007

Brilliant pieces. A laudes!

Re: making an aspis - hoplite14gr - 04-11-2007

A Corinthian if the Hylleis tribe! Laudes from me too.
Kind regards

Re: making an aspis - Idomeneas - 04-12-2007

a fine work!

Re: making an aspis - Magnus - 04-12-2007

I think Chris should go into business making shields, and give us all a free sample. 8)