RomanArmyTalk
making an aspis - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Greek Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: making an aspis (/showthread.php?tid=8966)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Re: making an aspis - Chris B - 04-12-2007

Thank you for the comments. Everyone tells me I should make one here and there and sell it. I don't think I would enjoy them as much if it were work. I also think it would be pretty hard to match a salary for an MBA/CPA with shield income. :wink: I do have a few more designs floating in my head and will probably make a couple more. Running out of wall space though. :roll:

Re: making an aspis - Magnus - 04-12-2007

Yeah....it's a hobby and should stay fun Chris. I agree with you.

Re: making an aspis - Anonymous - 04-12-2007

Quote: Running out of wall space though. :roll:

Well, if you make another aspis, I'm sure you'll find plenty of people willing to display it for you!

Re: making an aspis - M. Demetrius - 04-13-2007

Quote:Running out of wall space though.

...or you could get a bigger wall, you think? Hey, you deserve a bigger office anyway.

How deep is the dish on the Pegasus aspis?

Re: making an aspis - Chris B - 04-13-2007

Roughly 6 to 6 1/2 inches.

Re: making an aspis - Marcus Hortensius Castus - 07-31-2007

I have an inquiry regarding the Aspis; When the layers are glued together (using that method) and the shield completed and used in **simulated** combat, does it stand up pretty well? Or do some people use other methods of joining the layers as well?

Re: making an aspis - Gaius Julius Caesar - 07-31-2007

Those are great pieces of art/work! 8)

Re: making an aspis - Craig Gascoigne - 08-01-2007

One the Sydney Ancients is now turming them out of pine. The member Mr D armstrong is also selling them commercially pic below.

If you send mail to me I pass on for any one interested.

Re: making an aspis - Craig Gascoigne - 08-01-2007

Rear View

Re: making an aspis - M. Demetrius - 08-01-2007

Wow! that must be one big lathe! How about pictures of the tool??

How much does one of the wood blanks weigh?

Re: making an aspis - M. Demetrius - 08-06-2007

Do you know why Greek rabbits don't leave tracks?

Because they hoplite.

Heh.

Re: making an aspis - PMBardunias - 09-10-2007

A friend pointed me to the lath construction of an aspis from Olynthos. I thought I'd share the relevant parts of the original article. Note the round object pictured next to the text is NOT the shield, but a basin from another article.

Re: making an aspis - Giannis K. Hoplite - 09-10-2007

:!: :!: :!: Have you got pics from the article?It mentions numbered figures in it.Made from crossed pieces of wood?Like the chigi vase?
Khaire
Giannis

Quote:Have you got pics from the article?

Why, yes. I do Big Grin

And a close up of the rim. The fellow who brought this to my attention, who can identify himself should he wish, mentioned that the pattern on the rim harkens back to a woven pattern, suggesting perhaps that the anscestral shield was woven.