RomanArmyTalk
Great “glue†- Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Great “glue†(/showthread.php?tid=9577)

Pages: 1 2

Great “glue†- AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs - 06-01-2007

Salve,

Along with my arming cap I really needed some extra padding on the inside of my attic helmet (yes, this is the attic helmet I’ve been making for the last 3 months… it’s almost done... it used to be the Corinthian helmet you see me wearing in my avatar photo to the left) anyways… after reading through various posts concerning padding, most saying that hide glue melts in the summer heat and nearly no glue would hold leather to steel really well… I tried JB Wield.

JB Wield is an epoxy & steel combined with a hardener that is used in cold wielding; not the most historically accurate method of attaching leather and linen to steel however; it works phenomenally well and bonds leather and linen to steel.

BTW: I tried Elmers glue, rubber cement, and crazy glue... they didn't hold leather to metal well at all.

I folded over a stip of linen three times and placed some cold weilding over the seam
[Image: Helmet%20006.jpg]

Once folded I had a nice thick pad for the inside of my helmet's brow
[Image: Helmet%20007.jpg]

After cold weilding a strip of leather to the inside brow, I added more JB wield on the folded side of the linen and bonded that to the leather
[Image: Helmet%20013.jpg]

Re: Great “glue†- AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs - 06-01-2007

I also need extra padding in the center to make the helmet fit better and to cover the ‘historically inaccurate’ screws I used to hold the crest on. I wanted to insure that I could get to the screws in case I ever had to remove the crest so, I used tape down the center of the strip of leather to keep the JB Wield off the screws.

[Image: Helmet%20015.jpg]

Once the tape was pulled off, I had a clean center for laying over the screws
[Image: Helmet%20016.jpg]

I also added leather padding to the cheek guards... the leather is bonded to the steel.
[Image: Helmet%20017.jpg]

Re: Great “glue†- Marcus Caecilius Avitus - 06-01-2007

So come on then, show us the helmet in all it's glory!!

Quote:So come on then, show us the helmet in all it's glory!!

LOL, yeah I know but, it's not complete yet... if I can work on it this weekend I'll have it done. I'm finishing up the crest, adding white and red alternating Ostrich plumes (which just arrived today) and I honestly forgot to add rings for a chin strap! :roll:

Re: Great “glue†- Marcus Caecilius Avitus - 06-01-2007

So we can expect to see a spiffy new Avatar next week, Yes? :wink:

Re: Great “glue†- Robert - 06-01-2007

While we are on the subject of cementing padding to cheekpieces with epoxy coldweld, how did the Romans manage?? :roll:
Just in case someone (me?) wants to try the original way in attaching some sheepskin to the inside of ones helmet without glue dripping down his face in summer? When I follow some of the treads on the quest for authenticity, this would seem a object of research Smile

Re: Great “glue†- Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-01-2007

Horse hoofs? When did they start making glue from them?

Re: Great “glue†- Marcus Mummius - 06-01-2007

I'd use an organic glue like bone, hide, rabbit or fish glue. I don't know the temperatures they liquify by by hard but one of them should do the trick.

I never glue in the cap I wear under my helmets. I always keep them loose. I glue padding to the cheekguards though. Or you could make the cheekguards integral to the cap but that's another discussion Smile

Quote:I never glue in the cap I wear under my helmets.

Yes, I won't glue my arming cap in either. I just need to add some extra padding in the front and over the top of my head... and it also covers that historically inaccurate center seem too! :oops:

Most posts mention hide glue being used by the Romans however; most recreators stated that it melts in the hot summer weather. If they did use hide glue... I'd bet the helmet maker mixed in some ‘long forgotten additive’ that kept it from melting in the sun.

Re: Great “glue†- Marcus Mummius - 06-02-2007

Bone and hideglue will become soft and come loose between 30-50°C I believe so won't be a very good option for gluing in helmet liners...

Perhaps some kind of resin that can stand higher temperatures?

Re: Great “glue†- Mark Headlee - 06-02-2007

Hello,

Not to totally doubt that some type of glue may have been used, but looking at the other side of the coin, could it have been that no glue or bonding medium was used?

From the few period sources (mainly the "wad of rags" note), it seems the helmet liner was a separate piece and could be removed or used as a separate wearable piece.

I've tried the hide-hoof glue and it will not work well as a bonding agent between metal to cloth. I have also tried pine pitch resin and it works well for a very short period of time but again, is not a ideal bonding medium. So in the absence of reliable sources and evidence I have decided against any type of gluing and keep the liner as a separate piece.

Just my 0.2

Re: Great “glue†- Gaius_Calvus - 06-04-2007

Thanks for the info, Brother. I have been using Barge Rubber Cement but I have been looking for s substitute -- this looks like it.

Laudes.

Edge

Re: Great “glue†- Chris B - 06-09-2007

I used fast drying tacky glue that you can get at most hobby stores in the US. It works well, and I have not had any problem with it. My wife used it while studying for her architecture degree on all her models and projects. Not authentic, but it worked for me.

Re: Great “glue†- Wes - 06-23-2007

Liquid nails might work as well, I am going to try it this weekend and see if it takes to the steel.

Re: Great “glue†- Gaius_Calvus - 06-23-2007

I used the JB Weld after reading this and it was superb.

Easiest padding I've done, and I've padded 6 helmets so far.

Edge