Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Source of an anecdode: Catapults firing Jars of Snakes
Quote:Where? Big Grin
Themyscira (Turkey), 72 BC.
"The besiegers of this place [i.e. Lucullus' Roman legions] brought up towers, built embankments, and dug tunnels so large that great subterranean battles could be fought in them. The inhabitants cut openings into these tunnels from above and thrust bears and other wild animals and swarms of bees into them against the workers" (App., Mithr. 78 ). Confusedhock:

Actually, on the subject of gas attack, the defenders of Ambracia in 189 BC filled the Roman siege tunnel with noxious smoke. Does that qualify?! Big Grin
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Hi All,

Bees and wasps are also suggested as an anti-mine defence in Aeneas Tacticus 37.4 (c.360 BC)

Cheers

Murray
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
So the movie Snakes on a Plane had an ancient greek counterpart!

Legion: TBD
Quote:
Eleatic Guest:2b0b3ho3 Wrote:Where? Big Grin
Themyscira (Turkey), 72 BC.
"The besiegers of this place [i.e. Lucullus' Roman legions] brought up towers, built embankments, and dug tunnels so large that great subterranean battles could be fought in them. The inhabitants cut openings into these tunnels from above and thrust bears and other wild animals and swarms of bees into them against the workers" (App., Mithr. 78 ). Confusedhock:

Actually, on the subject of gas attack, the defenders of Ambracia in 189 BC filled the Roman siege tunnel with noxious smoke. Does that qualify?! Big Grin

For the defenders, yes. :wink: I could well imagine that smoke must have been more effective, as less fickle to handle than poisonous gas.
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)