Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Miller\'s 300 -- The Sequel
Quote:Gerard Butler and his heroic pecs

Heroic pecs? You can have heroic pecs?
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
How about starting in Nero's reign, showcasing the Great Fire of 64 (how's that for an expensive-to-film proposition?), which would allow plenty of controversy between blaming Nero vs. the Christians? From there we can proceed to Nero's death, the Four Emperors, the Judean revolt, Pompeii and the eruption of Vesuvius, and the eventual inauguration of the Flavian Amphitheater.

That oughta provide fodder for about a decade's worth of film and budget. But I'd be happy (assuming they did it well). I'd particularly like to see them focus on the Plinii as side characters (like Cicero was in the first season of Rome).

Not a very realistic hope, is it? Make it an expensive soap opera.

EDIT: I just realized it's pretty much exactly the same thing Narukami already proposed, just more detailed. But Narukami's plan to cover that in two years seems a little squeezed (like the second season of HBO's series felt); I can see it running much longer...if the audience and budget hold out.
Wayne Anderson/ Wander
Quote:Not a very realistic hope, is it? Make it an expensive soap opera.

EDIT: I just realized it's pretty much exactly the same thing Narukami already proposed, just more detailed. But Narukami's plan to cover that in two years seems a little squeezed (like the second season of HBO's series felt); I can see it running much longer...if the audience and budget hold out.

Yes, you're quite right, it really would be too much for two seasons, even 16 episode seasons, just as it would be too much for a feature film of length that one could actually sit through without going numb in the neither regions (so to speak :oops: )

"Not a very realistic hope..." Perhaps not, and yet Hollywood always admires the audacious film maker who takes a chance or brings something new to the screen (or something old in shinny new packaging) particularly if it makes money. (Star Wars for example)

Could an extended series (3 new seasons...more?) of Rome make money? Hard to say as I do not know how the last two seasons did financially. However, if HBO is really considering a third season then they must have made a reasonable profit. The question is: Do they have the courage and the imagination to Dream Large? (and the money to realize such dreams)

Frankly, I find this story arc far more interesting than anything they might come up with for a sequel / prequel to Gladiator. Likewise the story line of Vorenus & Pullo has reached a logical conclusion -- time to move on and Nero's reign is a good start point. But that's just me...and it seems a few others too.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
OK, I'm good at writing dialogue. How are you at story arcs and characterization? And I'm sure everybody here would LOVE to be historical consultants...

We need a good Nero, Tigellinus, some palace slaves, probably a couple guys in the army or Praetorians...

Hey, if you want something done right...
Wayne Anderson/ Wander
Quote:How about starting in Nero's reign, showcasing the Great Fire of 64 (how's that for an expensive-to-film proposition?), which would allow plenty of controversy between blaming Nero vs. the Christians?

You mean a remake of Quo Vadis? :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Never saw Quo Vadis, sorry. The reviews usually say it's pretty good. But really, that's just a starting point. At just about any given time, Rome has about a million stories to tell, right? Not to mention when you move outside the city; millions more. I've read somewhere that there was evidence that the fire of 64 actually started in the Circus Maximus, which was apparently a warren of whores and pimps, thieves and scammers, astrologers and mountebanks, slave dealers and gamblers, wine taverns and fast food sellers. What an environment to set up for stories! It could make just about any other story setting pale by potential.

Besides, according to Tacitus it looks like Nero actually did everything he could to direct firefighting efforts, so maybe it's time somebody exonerated him. Even if he did take advantage of the fire to build his Domus Aurea (he probably rationalized it as providing work for thousands).
Wayne Anderson/ Wander
Im already cringing at the prospect of another 300!!Sure the action scenes were ok but jeez rhinos and elephants involved??That fella with the amazing guillotine hands!God i feel ill just thinking of it!
Out of sight of subject shores, we kept even our eyes free from the defilement of tyranny. We, the most distant dwellers upon earth, the last of the free, have been shielded till today by our very remoteness and by the obscurity in which it has shrouded our name.
Calgacus The Swordsman, Mons Grapius 84 AD.

Name:Michael Hayes
I think I have a great idea for the continuation of the Rome HBO series.....
but I already posted it in the Rome HBO thread... :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
And yes it is a good idea Gaius. Smile

Perhaps Pullo's son could be one of the few survivors -- showing that he really is his fathers's son.

Still, I think staring a new series with the Revolt in Britain up through the reign of Titus has some merit too, however I doubt "They" are thinking along those line.

What story line are they thinking of...?

The gods alone know.

:?

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
"300" for me was a sacriledge. Making pop-fast-food product from holy things - isn't the best way of developing of arts. It kills our hopes and beleifs. Sequel to it - sequel of sacriledge.