Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Classical and Contemporary writers on the Bellum Germanicum
Recently I have started to do research on the Marcomannic Wars or the 'Bellum Germanicum' but unfortunately most of my sources are rather vague and only mention the war briefly. Are there any Classical or Contemporary sources that I could go to? Are there any particular recommendations?

Grazie,

Lorenzo
Lorenzo Perring-Mattiassi/Florivs Virilis

COHORS I BATAVORUM M.C.R.P.F
Hello,

Well, given how little we actually know for sure about Marcomannic wars, there has been quite some literature about it Smile

A good start would be Birley, A.R., 1993. Marcus Aurelius: A Biography, London/New York. Then you certainly should not miss Friesinger, H. - Tejral, J. - Stuppner, A. (eds.), 1994. Markomannenkriege: Ursachen und Wirkungen, Brno.

Often referenced are Zwikker, W., 1941. Studien zur Markussäule. Amsterdam and Böhme, H. W., 1975. Archäologische Zeugnisse zur Geschichte der Markomannenkriege (166-180 n. Chr.), JRGZ 22, Mainz but I have not seen them.

Recently a new book appeared which surely has much to say on the subject. Have a look here.

Extensive bibliography on Marcomannic wars can be found here.

From primary sources you should certainly check especially Cassius Dio and Historia Augusta.

Greetings
Alexandr
http://www.amazon.com/Hate-War-Column-M ... 0752446959

This is a recent book on the column of Marcus Aurelius which was built in honour of the victory over the Marcomanni. The column is probably one of the best primary sources for the war although some of the images are subject to interpretation
Andrew J M

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  question about Roman military writers eugene 8 2,088 04-16-2010, 12:25 PM
Last Post: Epictetus
  Bellum Samnitium Velite 5 1,871 11-08-2007, 05:59 AM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis