Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sources on Revolt of Julius Civilis?
Hi,<br>
<br>
After a long interval I find myself returning to this discussion group.<br>
I'm currently researching the Revolt of Julius Civilis and I am particularly interested in finding sources that outline composition of forces and such of this conflict. Tacitus is an obvious starting point...<br>
I don't have Cheeseman's book on Auxilia - could you tell me how helpful this one would be, especially for the Batavian forces? Any other suggestions for sources and such?<br>
Thanks very much,<br>
<br>
Geert <p>mail: [email protected] <br>
web: www.xs4all.nl/~grt </p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=ghorvers>ghorvers</A> at: 3/13/04 10:48 pm<br></i>
Hi Geert,<br>
<br>
Other than Tacitus there is very little primary source material - there is one stratagem of Frontinus (4.1.14 from memory) which deals with the revolt and there are a couple of articles and book chapters which reconstruct the campaign.<br>
<br>
Check Parker Roman Legions, Jones The Emperor Domitian and his Domitian and the Senatorial Order. Other than that maybe Cassius Dio has a mention.<br>
<br>
Hope this helps.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Muzzaguchi <p>It is an unscrupulous intellect that does not pay Antiquity its due reverence - Erasmus of Rotterdam<br>
<br>
'Modern history, like a deaf man, answers questions no one asks' - Tolstoy War and Peace Ep. ii.1</p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
Thanks very much. <p>mail: [email protected] <br>
web: www.xs4all.nl/~grt </p><i></i>