Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Origin of the lorica squamata
I was thinking that my self about the indians. I can see elements of several diferent nations and cultures from the Americas in those images! Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Dan, Dariusz, Gaius

I was off on the earliest date: it was 3rd millenium, as Dariusz corrected me. :roll:

The article itself showed no copper or bronze illustrations, but the rock drawings are most interesting, "crests" that look so Greek-like. I have all of these Novosibom articles on my computer desktop, there since I accidentally discovered them. I can't read Russian, so I simply go by the excellent archaeological-based illustrations.

This whole phenomenon-- the emergence of tin, bronze, and early armor-- in so remote a place, is simply amazing. But maybe weather conditions were less harsh back then. Dr. Anthony made the connection of the early trade route than extended from the Altai down to the south: the two big commmodities, horses and tin. Amazing. It was in bloom while the Chinese were still living in the Stone Age.

All of these metalugic advances were mirrored by the introduction of "bent-wood" technology, introducing the spoked wheel and composite bow.

These Uralic-Siberian-Altic discoveries change our entire notion of where-- geographically-- early weapons and armor came into fruition. :-) I have mentioned the socketed bronze spear-head found in the Sintashta chariot grave previously. It appears as the prototype "European" spear-head, hardly different than the later iron heads of Alanic, Celtic, and Roman, construction. The armor, once in place, appears ubiquitous, extending into such articles as Mongolian lamellar and Polish splint vambraces. I suppose right up to the introduction of medeival "hard" armor.

When you view the entire picture, so well-done in these paintings, especially the charioteer with his throwing lances, it gives you the goose-bumps! :lol:

[attachment=1624]sibir_49_chariot.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
I'm not particularly interested in recontructions. I'd love to see a photo or an illustration of the original plates.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Hello, Dan

In a couple of posts above, Dariusz has given you the links to the Novosibum articles. Many of the illustrations are of the basic weapons and armor plates, no frills or reconstructions, and just as good as photos, plus in color. :wink:
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Thanks Alan, very informative!

Quote:I have all of these Novosibom articles on my computer desktop, there since I accidentally discovered them. I can't read Russian, so I simply go by the excellent archaeological-based illustrations.
Which was what I thought until I found that these days, translation websites can do an excellent job. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Ah!

One of these days, I'll come in from the 1st century and discover all the things I've been missing. Like Edison's light-bulb switch. :wink:

Click! :roll:
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

I'm getting confused. Which article talks about a physical example of third millenium scale armour?
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Quote:I'm getting confused. Which article talks about a physical example of third millenium scale armour?

Hello Dan,

As mentioned previously, one of the articles (fifth down from the top in the Novosibum list) shows overlapping hide armor. We then go to c.2,000 BC, the chariot technology and weapons used with it. Frankly, the difference between the late 3rd millennium and early 2nd is December, 31, 2,001 BC. (by the Gregorian calender). :wink:

To me, whatever had been invented previously then advanced dramatically with steppe chariot warfare, even if used only by the chieftains. The differentiation between scale, splint, lamellar, and plate armor, was dictated by the size of original materials, potential scales being the smallest. And I see no reason why it wasn't used within this earliest context. No, we don't have illustrations of Neolithic or Caeleolitic scale, but the Novosibum articles do show the variations in the steppe Bronze Age, the early chariot years.

The transition to the chariot and then horseback riding obviously spurred advances in armor, perhaps due to the invention of new weapons-- in particular the throwing javelin and larger contus-- larger and heavier weapons that spawned likewise heavier armor:

[attachment=1645]contushead002.JPG[/attachment]
Early Bronze Age chariot weapons; several flint javelin heads, and a large socketed bronze contus head.

And then we look at steppe armor from the same time-period, both splint and scale:

[attachment=1646]sibir_30.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1647]sibir_35.jpg[/attachment]

I can't believe that this technology suddenly sprang forth without a precedence of hide, bone, and hoove armor made during the previous millennium. There's no proof, not in the Novosibum articles, but logic and (by that time) a 2,000 year-old horse economy would dictate it, and we see it in the overlapping leather armor of the previous millennium.

Even as it stands, this scale armor predates that of other cultures. And circa 2,000-1,800 BC armor, like any other innovation, had a heritage, a foundation in the past. Confusedmile:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)