Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman handshake?
How often, and in what circumstances, did Romans shake hands?

The handshake gesture is shown on many coins, often marked Concordia or Fides - a gesture of trust, fellowship etc.

[Image: balb002.jpg]

But was it also used as a gesture of greeting, as we do today? In Roman literature, men often seem to greet each other by hugging, even kissing.

In a lot of films, and even in some recent novels, Romans greet each other by clasping their forearms - does anyone know where this (apparently ahistorical) gesture originated?

Is it just that a manly wrist-clasp (and a bit of a bracer-rub!) seems more 'Roman' to modern sensibilities than a hug and a kiss?

;-)
Nathan Ross
Quote:Is it just that a manly wrist-clasp (and a bit of a bracer-rub!) seems more 'Roman' to modern sensibilities than a hug and a kiss?

;-)
I think this may be the case! Given the representation of the handshake in the context of agreements, I think they may have 'shaken' to settle deals at lower levels as well, but I think that beyond that, there are so many unspoken rules regarding physical contact likely to have been in play that are beyond reconstruction. Generally such contact implies a degree of equality of social status, but as there was much more differentiation based on status in the Roman world, I would expect a range of other greetings to have been used.

Whilst I don't know of a Classical source for the forearm-shake, the handshake was used to signify marriage and other close personal bonds in iconography (as discussed in a paper by Glenys Davies). However, its significance was inevitably ambiguous and therefore a bit meaningless beyond a sense of general importance.
Those familiar with present day Mediterranean practice and culture will recognize the fact that is a far more “physical” society then in Northern Europe or North America. An embrace between men is quite normal, touching is also not an issue. When I was in for instance Corsica, Cyprus and Algeria, it was sometimes uncomfortable to be so heartily greeted when not used to it as a Northern European, but he, when in Rome ….

I do not know what parallels we may draw to ancient times, but it does remain a fact that present day cultures there have (and may have retained) a more relaxed attitude to a more physical type of greeting, certainly if the parties involved are acquainted, either in business or as friends.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
I believe clasping of the hands was used as a salutation, sometimes. Ovid even suggests using it in a Machiavellian fashion if you are trying to seduce a lady.

Quote:Blush not to win over handmaidens, as each stands first in rank, nor blush to win over slaves. Salute each one by name: you lose nothing thereby; clasp low-born hands, ambitious one, in yours.

Ovid, Art of Love, II. 251+

Based upon Ovid, one might think shaking hands was more common for those of a similar social class. He seems to be trying to convince his readers it is okay to grasp servile hands.

Also, one could guess from Ovid that touching the hand of a lady not one's wife was not considered proper. A person didn't just stroll up and grab a noble woman's hand in greeting, however innocent the gesture appears to us. He discusses at some length how to "accidently" touch her hand in public to show interest.

This study mentions its use during meeting and parting as depicted in funerary art.

However, this book doesn't seem to think it was common.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com