Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Book : Römische Wehrbauten---- .....
-- Befund und Rekonstruktion
Roman Military Buildings -- Findings and Reconstruction
Kolloquiumsband des Arbeitsgespräches/Colloquial volume from the Working Discussion ;"excelsae turre quater divisae" vom 05.07.2010 in/at Munich
Zusammengestellt und bearbeitet/Redacted and reworked von/by Christoph Flügel and Jürgen Obmann
München 2013
159 pp/ DIN A4
When skimming the internet for usable informations about my "subjects of interest" (Varia !!), I
regularly run into interesting. Most of them, however are beyond my financial "capabilities",
getting me in a state of "severely raised eyebrows" about this, but every now and the the price seems
tempting (mostly with ues books!).
On the webiste of the Bavarian Monuments'Preservation Authority I found a recent addition by the title
mentioned above. At 17,90€ /p&p free in Germany I thought I should give it a try. And so I did -- last week.
("Da offischal flyer" : http://www.blfd.bayern.de/medien/pm_roem...bauten.pdf )
ToC:
Foreword 6
C.Sebastian Sommer and Michael Henker
Introduction 8
Christof Flügel and Jürgen Obmann
Visualization of roman camp gates
As exemplified by the porta principalis dextra at the roman Ala fort of Pförring/Celeusum 12
Andreas A. Schaflitzl
Archäological post-Survey of the porta principalis dextra at the Ala fort at Pförring/Celeusum 28
Thomas Stöckl and Sven Bittner
Material examinations on roman plaster samples of the roman Ala fort at Pförring/Celeusum 58
Mario Bloier
A view across river Inn -- The defence works of the norican fort of Boiodurum (>>i.e. Passau /Innstadt) 70
Paul Bidwell
The elevation of Roman Fort-Gates 82
Michael Mackensen
Building residuals and Reconstruction of the porta praetoria of the severian vexillation-fort Myd(....)/
Gheriat el-Garbia on the Limes Tripolitanus (Lybia) 88
Thomas Aumüller
The development of building-height at the Legionary fort at Regensburg/ Castra Regina from 179 AD 108
Alexandra W. Busch
High-Empire-era military architecture in the center of the Roman Empire 112
C. Sebastian Sommer
Villae rusticae and urban houses and their contribution to roman military architecture 132
Renate Schiwall
Development of motives in the reconstruction of roman forts
Gustav von Roessler
On the defence installations of roman frontier forts 150
AUTHORS 160
-------
The fact, that some of the papers have already been published elsewhere :
e.g.
http://www.academia.edu/4162793/M._Bloie...2013_70-81
or
http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=re...6542,d.bGE
-------------------
This does not necessarily invalidate the essays included herein as we find new commentary footnotes added.
BTW-- interesting reconstructionary website :
http://www.arctron.de/de/startseite/
Back to the subject:
I merely had time got give it a thorough read, but going over it quickly immediately gave pleasant surpriese -- at least to me.
First it should be noted that save for one essay all is written in german.
(O.K. --- I hope my translations make the subjects clear enuff)
Second -- this mostly deals with affairs of the High Empire -- 2nd half of 2nd century AD to early 3rd century AD.
Third : I'm inclined to see this as an recent update to Anne Johnsons book on roman forts.
IMHO this is a follow up off the re-assessment of the work of the ReichsLimesKommission and later times that came with the appliance for having the roman frontiers listed with the UN World Heritage.
(Though one of the essays deals with specifically british findings: The one by Paul Bidwell)
With more work having gone on since 2010 -- the Obergermanisch-Raetischer Limes and the Odenwald-Limes
have undergone complete LIDAR-scanning since then, it's easy to see that this is still work in progress.
Some of the authors may have come to your attention already with my dealings about the Colloquium on
the Rearward Limes.
C.Sebastian Sommer is Chief Archeologist of the Ground Monuments Authority of Bavaria (Leiter der Bodendenkmalspflege) and member of the German Limeskommission ( >>successor to RLK).
(He is one of the people who early on had asserted a course of the Odenwald-Limes further on southward.)
----------------------
BTW : The periodical of the German Limeskommission (>"Der Limes") is available online here:
http://www.deutsche-limeskommission.de/i...3%82%C2%82 (In German)
------------
Dr. Renate Schiwall is one of the persons who are experts in the history of research and restoration of roman buildings in Germany.
Further impressions when haveing a quick readover:
Matters discussed are not only the size/execution of roman military architecture of the high-empire, but
also "fine-print" like ornamentary, execution of masonry, analysis of the plasters used, clay-models of fort-gates
(I was surprise that there are more of these from the Danube Limes than just the one found at Intercisa.
With a better photograph of it than I previously had, I may add)
also getting more towards a solution of the problem of the course of the passways over fort-gates -- the
dimensions of all this also discussed.
OOOPS -- my time is running out --- more as time allows for it
At first glance this may well be the reference you should use when concerned with reconstruction/ rebuilding/ visualizing high-empire military installations.
Greez
Siggi
Some of the links may or may not work -- so "copy and paste" -- thats the price I had to pay for having this here accepted by th forums software at all.
Siggi K.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  römische militärgeschichte Longovicium 2 1,793 04-29-2015, 08:52 AM
Last Post: Longovicium
  Review of \"Die römische Armee im Experiment\" Jona Lendering 6 2,410 04-30-2012, 01:52 PM
Last Post: caiusbeerquitius
  Die Römische Armee im Experiment caiusbeerquitius 16 4,261 11-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Last Post: caiusbeerquitius