Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cavalry Helmet Repouse
Ladies, and Gents, I am struggling to find any decent original images to complete a helmet I have had commissioned.
The front of the brow decoration is missing from the original, and I cannot find a decent online image to complete it. While I have a few ideas of my own, I would prefer it to be based on an original find.

Any suggestions or info/links would be appreciated .

[attachment=10659]10685213_648110135296623_1101642385_n.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
In relation to this, when was the Mithraic cult introduced in the West?
I am trying to think of an image that will not precisely date the helmet, such as one of Vespasian, but one which would permit its use throughout the 1st century.
Possibly I will go wit ha central image of Either Augustus, or even GJC, flanked by 2 eagles, and then fill with other repouse in keeping with the rest of the helmet.

Another idea is the central figure being Victory.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron
It might help if you have side views that would show the cheek plates and help towards what could maybe go there, however I would stay off the idea of anything Mithraic for that is a thing that might not have been shown on any equipment.
Brian Stobbs
Thanks Brian, Someone found exactly what I was after. What about Victory?

http://peopleofar.files.wordpress.com/20...-19-bc.jpg
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron - that image was of a coin - is that right?

How about the Hallaton helmet? This is early 1st C.

Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Byron.
I have been going through a book of mine on Roman Mythology by Stewart Perowne and found this eagle, which of course would fit the whole length of that front plate on that helmet.
This could be done by some one good at repousse' and made to fit the plate with pins fitted to its backing.
[attachment=10695]eagle_2014-09-05.jpg[/attachment]

Brian Stobbs
Hello Moi, and Brian

Yes it is a coin. I had thought of the Hallerton helmet too, but realise now that the figure on that and several others are too high up for this helmet.
Henk found an image of a brow-band from another helmet, which fits almost perfectly, apart from the central image, which I thought would be fitting to have Victory.
Brian that Eagle is awesome and wish I had seen it before, but then also I had thought of an eaglet too, but thought maybe one too many eagles.
With your permission I would like to send it to him anyway to see what he can do with it.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron.
Where you mention that the Hallerton figure might be too high this particular eagle and laurel could be altered in size to fit in with the width of your helmet panel but of course carry the scroll work all along the plate with maybe a reeded border to the picture.
Brian Stobbs