Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unpainted Roman shields
Greetings,<br>
<br>
This is my first post, so I will give a short description of what I do. I started reenacting (roman/Celtic first century, early second century) a couple of years ago. We've just joined legio XXX as cohort IV (stationed in Belgium).<br>
But it isn't always that easy to find good gear. Something I'm really looking for is a good, unpainted shield for this period. Perhaps the unpainted version of the deepeeka shield?<br>
<br>
Does anyone know where in Europe they sell these shields?<br>
<br>
Thanks, <p></p><i></i>
Salve, frater<br>
<br>
Armae in France is a Deepeeka importer:<br>
<br>
www.armae.com/<br>
<br>
Alot of people simply repaint the Deepeeka scuta. Then again, it isn't all that difficult to make your own blank. We make ours from two layers of 1/8 inch birch plywood. Sorry, but I have no idea where in Europe to get that. See the legio XX scutum page for directions:<br>
<br>
www.larp.com/legioxx/scutum.html<br>
<br>
The trick is to use lots of glue.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
well,<br>
perhaps we should give that a try then! Its always more fun to make things youreself.<br>
Armae indeed sells the deepeeka shields, we bought one there, but I'm afraid they don't sell them unpainted.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
You could try Len Morgan in the UK, details at:<br>
<br>
www.romanarmy.net/fabrica.htm and his own website at: myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fabrica/prod04.htm<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Salvete,<br>
<br>
The real trick is using the right glue when pressing your own scutum. I use either cascemite or 'Fast Grab' also known as swamp glue (Cyanoacrylate based). Also for the press, I use a ribbed semi circleand apply tension with ratchet cargo straps (braced lengthways with staves to stop the ply getting wavy).<br>
Give it a go, it's lots of fun.<br>
<br>
Vale<br>
Mummius <p></p><i></i>
Thanks!<br>
I'll certainly do that!<br>
Is that type of glue hard to get or is it something you find in a decent hardware store?<br>
And if that doesn't works out perhaps I should consult Morgan about the costs of an unpainted shield<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Hi Daidra,<br>
Well, if you decide not to try making one yourself, Len Morgan makes some excellent stuff. I've never actually bought anything from him, but from the looks of his items on the web site, he has very reasonable prices. He is also very well known in the reenactment community. <p>Lucius Aurelius Metellus, draconarius, Secunda Brittanica</p><i></i>
Lucius Aurelius Metellus
a.k.a. Jeffrey L. Greene
Most DIY supply special flexible plywood that is easier to bend into shape , if u use that with extra strong woodglue , the curve is easy to make to whatever shape you like <p></p><i></i>
Try<br>
www.armillum.com<br>
Nice scuta, painted or unpainted, republican, imperial or auxiliar. <p></p><i></i>
Jorge Mambrilla
Well thank's a lot!!! This armillum stuff looks good!<br>
<br>
(and modest prices to!) <p></p><i></i>