Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Subarmalis, help needed
Salve Omnes!

Having searched the forum far and wide, my confusion at all the different viewpoints on the reconstruction of a subarmalis has caused me such despair that I turn to you all in the hope of sufficient info to plot a course.

Having first checked with Legio XX , my guiding light in assembling a good impression of a first century auxilliarius (? :oops: ) at the Limes along the Rhine in the Netherlands, I had decided on a leather cover, with some layers of wool sandwiched between this and the inner layer of linen, extra wool padding added in the shoulder area. To be worn under a hamata and not holding the rank of centurion, I had thought to go without the pteruges to start with. Should I ever be promoted, I felt these could be added later on.

Having read the discussion on whether to close in front or to the sides, the image I thought would have the best protecting value and which would be relatively easy to don was a large rectangle as wide as the hamata with an oval shaped hole for the head. It slips over the head, hangs down front and back and could be strapped at the sides using two small buckles each side with some overlap, protecting the sides as well.

This does differ vastly from the linothorax which was very well discussed, but then again, this is the Romans of the empire, being very practical.
I could really use some feedback on the above (and beyond), having acquired a slab of good quality leather of nearly 2 meters by 90 centimeters (well yes, that's about a full hide). I solemnly promise to document and post the production process and end result for all to benefit, I'll even draw a pattern for suppliers, but first, please help me get it right! Big Grin
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Sounds like a perfectly good plan to me. Go for it! Then let us know how it all turns out, and *we* can ask YOU questions, eh?

Vale,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/