Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Viking Origins?
Quote:So if you are in England and have this marker the companies would like you to assume your ancestor was a Viking- and pay them.

LOL, yes. As with all matters relating to purchases, caveat emptor! Some are better than others.

Quote:My point was that the Norse have a large element that did not come from Germany, but from Eastern Europe.

Yes, R1a1 averages 26.3% with the Trondheim area highest at 31.5% and the south being the lowest at 13.2%. Germany has around 12.5% of R1a1 but it must be remembered that the Abrodites were settled even in parts of Jutland by the 8th cent. Areas still exist today, Das Wendland near Lüneburg, which were still slavic speaking only a few centuries ago and former slavic areas are readily identified by the 'itz' and 'au' place name endings.

best

Harry Amphlett
Harry Amphlett
Quite by coincidence, on the day that you mentioned testing for genetic ancestry, the following appeared in Science:

[i]“Not all companies make clear the limitations and assumptions underlying these tests,â€
Harry Amphlett
Quote:Anglo-saxon conquest of Britain, from the Vth to the VIIth centuries, involved scandinavians. Angles and Jutes come from the modern area of Danmark, and there was obviously strong links between Angles and the Vendel culture in southern sweden, just have a look to the sutton hoo and the vendel/valsgarde helmets :wink:
Well the Jutes certainly came from Jutland in Denmark but I always thought the Angles came from Schleswig-Holstein in Germany and derived their name from a place called Angeln. Here's a link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angles
Cry \'\'\'\'Havoc\'\'\'\', and let slip the dogs of war
Imad
There was never a sharp distinction between the peoles that lived between Northern Germany and Southern Sweden. The names did never cover distinct cultures. Modern Frisians for instance, while deriving their name from the region called Friesland, were culturally more alike the Saxons and probably migrated from there to Friesland. I think that (besides social boundaries) it would have been difficult to tell a Saxon from an Angle or a Jute.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
The sort of interlace commonly called "Celtic" is, in fact, a feature of Hiberno-Saxon Art. Like it says on the tin it was a common art form found throughout the British Isles, especially Ireland and England. It is no coincidence that similar decoration is found in the Irish Book of Kells and the English Lindisfarne Gospels.

This art form was synthesised from La Tene Celtic, plus the previous synthesis between provincial Roman decoration and animal-based art from the Sarmatian Steppe cultures which is commonly linked with the German peoples of the Migration Period.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!