Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sandals, Boots, Buskins, and gaiters
So... I'm finally making kit. The unanswered questions are piling up.

In vase paintings, especially of hunters and travelers (important note--for my first kit, I'm making hunting clothes, not hoplite clothes!) the men seem to be wearing gaiters--or boots.

Now, the Egyptian statuette of Alexander in an Elephant skin shows a busking boot pretty well. But that doesn't seem to be what the Athenians are wearing in 450 BC.

Thracian boots SEEM to be made like booted moccasins

[Image: n681611203_998698_2253.jpg]

In 1 and 2 you see Thracian boots or their Athenian copies. In 3, you see the only image I could find of some one putting on boots--note that they pull on and have no openings, and in party scenes, they are often depicted as standing--thus stiff. This may be another type of boot altogether, of course.

4, 5, and 6 illustrate--well, they illustrate something! 4 has shoes (???) that seem smooth and seamless. They could be Thracian bots with gaiters--odd as that sounds. Any ideas?
5 shows a huntsmen seated, with net or grid sandals worn with gaiters and a good illustration of hos the straps around the gaiters actually "work." Note that for the strap running under the foot to function, either his sandals are soft like mocs or there are heels on his sandals. Also note that there's no hint of a foot in their. Almost as if he's wearing stockings.
6 shows two subtly different styles--on the left, cow skin or goatskin slippers, almost like scots ghilly shoes. Look carefully. Tell me if you think I'm wrong. They look like they have the hair still on--which is consistent with at least one period source and with the Iliad. BUT why do his puttees or gaiters have a curved back? How the heck was that effect acheived? it can't be artist error--it occurs on other paintings and is always consistent on both legs! So--does that mean these are NOT wraps?
6 on the right seems to show (a relief to me) that there are ties at the top of his gaiters, and he's wearing them over sandals. Thank heavens--there's one I think I understand.

Now, are these actually gaiters, or stockings? If gaiters, are they linen or wool? If stockings (tears his hair out) where'd they come from?

Smile ) )
Qui plus fait, miex vault.
Pléease see thread "Greek Footware".

Kind regards
I read the thread. My questions stand. I could go into detail, but I'd just be restating my questions.
But I suspect the answer is "we don't know." If I had a point, and I'm not sure I do beyond wanting to make stuff, it's that I think Athens in particular had quite a few shoe and sandal styles and that THEY CHANGED. Making for a dating nightmare.

The Beazely archive at Oxford offered a superb illus when searched, but I can't reproduce it (legally) so I'll just say--go to CVA and search "shoemaker." The illustration has explained the apparent "gaiter with leather wrap and shoe/sandal" combination to me since I posted. My new question is really whether the gaiters (which are illustrated as a sep. piece) were leather or linen--I know what Paul will say!
AHAHA,I'm sure he'd say linen Smile Try to depict shoes today. Are you going to paint them all the same? Even worse,try putting different individuals today,before 5 years and after 5 years. Will they paint ONE pair the same? In all i think that 4,5 and 6 all depict the same type of boot. In all cases the lines are so thick and so "stylized" that i think they are leather straps of a high sandal/boot,perhaps covering an inner sock. It is the most often shoe of the travelers and the hoplites' rervants. N. 3 is a woman depicted and such boots are very often shown as female shoes. Similar boots are worn by men some times,but something that women wore i'm sur doesn't fit to hunters and warriors. And as you said,we often see then in symposions.
You're right,we don't know what these shoes are,because we don't have sculptures with something similar. In the Parthenon there were some different type boots,thracian among them.I think they're too early for Marathon,though. But as we said,our evnt will include later periods,too.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Quote:I know what Paul will say!
...... :lol: :lol: :lol: Paul will say "I have no more idea than anyone else"..I don't know of any evidence ( anything archaeological turned up that anyone knows of?) other than depictions and they are open to all sorts of interpretation.....but OTOH there is plenty of evidence when it comes to Tube-and-Yoke corselets... :wink: :wink: Smile D

(sorry, guys,....couldn't resist!! :oops: )
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Giannis, that's a woman being depicted being a man--the whole vase shows women doing "male things" in the nude. I doubt that needs much explanation...

I suspect that the uppers of the last 3 (4,5,6) are separate. I've now seen so many pairs of very short boots--very like leather socks, just to the ankle--and the shoemaker has what look to me like leather gaiters hanging with them.

Anyway, I'm going to make a couple of different theories into leather reality, and you guys can see what you think. Remember, I'm not making Hoplite sandals (yet).

By the way, this does have an impact on the whole "pushing" element of Hoplite combat...when we did our little experiments, we noticed that a lot of feet got trodden. If the whole thing was a rugby scrum, wouldn't everyone be in hobnailed boots? Bare feet suggests martial arts--so to speak.
A friend of mine suggested that there was a "winter version" of Thracian boots were the hair were left on the hide -pretty much like moder sheepskin boot for heavy winter. Hide/leather type would varry subject to availability/taste

Kind regards