Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carthaginian Shield in the Louvre
I was reading "Hannibal" by Theodore Ayrault Dodge and I found this.

"In 1714, a silver shield, with the common Carthaginian device of a lion and plam, and engraved in a manner unlike Roman work, but much like Carthaginian medals, was found at the village of Passage, which lies on a hill where, on this route, you first get a view of the main chain of the Alps."

Does anyone have a picture about that awesome shield? Or at least saw it in the Louvre?

Thanks for your time guys.
Eduardo Camacho
Hi Eduardo,
I was at the Louvre specifically for Ancient military stuff and I saw a lot, but not that. Dodge's book is quite old of course, so a lot may have happened to it. The shield may be discredited, redated, even lost or have been moved somewhere else. Then again, it's possible I missed it (the Louvre is beyond belief in size), that it's in the National archaeological museum at St.Germain or in the town museum where it was found.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
....my antennae are twitching.....I smell 'fake' here..... :roll:
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
The Louvre is really huge. When I went they gave us the short tour that is like Venus, Mona Lisa, etc. By destiny, I and 2 other guys got lost from the group so we had a chance to see the impressive Egyptian part of the museum.

I hope that shield is not fake. The logo maybe looked like this.

[Image: 690745.jpg]
Eduardo Camacho
I tracked it down.

"Le missorium de Geilamir roi des Vandales et les monuments analogues", Oeuvres de A. de Longperier, ed. Schlumberger, Paris, 1884, Vol. VI, 255-263.

The title has given the game away -- the piece in question, the so-called bouclier d'Annibal, is a missorium, that is, a large silver dish of the Late Antique period, such as the famous one of Theodosius. The subject of the article is another such plate bearing the inscription "+ GEILAMIR REX VANDALORVM ET ALANORVM."
If there's still interest, I can scan the plate, but the fellow doesn't look very Punic.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
It would be awesome if you could scan it. The picture would be very useful as I am interested in North Africa too.

Thanks in advance.
Eduardo Camacho