Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Civilian belts
I want to make a couple of civilian belts. Problem is, I am not sure what kind of belts would be for civilians...metal plates? Plain? Toggles like Celtic belts? What kind of buckles?

These would be the sort that would be worn with an ordinary tunic, in the event that a rope or sash was not worn. Would a fascia ventralis be worn under the belt?

Most all the pictures from mosaics, etc., I find have such a blouson tunic, you can't see the belt, but obviously there is something under the bloused out upper part of the tunic....
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
It should be a narrow cloth or leather belt. I would keep it very plain as I don't think it was an excepted form of jewelry or something that a civilian would overadorn. Thats more of a military and "barbarian" thing.
Derek D. Estabrook
If the decoration of shoes is anything to go by, I'd suggest civilian belts could be ornate.

http://www.hr-replikate.de/katalog/inde ... image=0094
http://flickr.com/photos/71854985@N00/2231547733/
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote: I'd suggest civilian belts could be ornate.
Indeed, but mainly for the rich.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Agreed, unless you're replicating Tyrian purple somewhere in your garments I personally wouldn't get any fancier than perhaps a colorful dye job on the leather (if you use leather).
Derek D. Estabrook
What sort of buckle do you think would be appropriate for a citizen of at least merchant class, not necessarily Equestrian?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:
Tarbicus:1jo2wm0j Wrote:I'd suggest civilian belts could be ornate.
Source? Assumption? Or, "Probably for the rich"? :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:
Vortigern Studies:12e7iz4w Wrote:
Tarbicus:12e7iz4w Wrote:I'd suggest civilian belts could be ornate.
Source? Assumption? Or, "Probably for the rich"? :wink:

Based on an assumption on what these belts would cost, my assumption was that they would probably have been affordable for the wealthier people only.

And your sources for your opinion were... asumption as well? :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Most medieval and early modern city digs tend to turn up lots and lots of belt mounts, buckles and strap-ends of all shapes and sizes, many of the belt mounts just simple copper alloy sheet metal affairs. I suspect one would find something similar if going through a roman urban dig, but I don't know of any spesific examples.
So are we saying that a buckle IS or ISN'T the norm? I'm assuming "belt mounts" means something like a two-piece hook/toggle and loop (in one of the many configurations).

The trouble with most of those is that they lack much adjustability...if one wears a thick tunic, or wants to belt around the cloak (for really cold windy days) the fixed length belt just won't work.

If a buckle, then, should it be of the simple kind as used for lorica seg fastenings, or more elaborate, like on a cingulum?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Belt mounts:

http://www.kongshirden1308.no/forum/att ... 1142269627

Decoration and stiffening of belts.
Well, I attempted a registration for entry to the forum. I'm not sure what this means:
Quote:Hva holder den norske riksløven?

Skriv inn bokstaven foran riktig alternativ:
A. Stein
B. Dør
C. Hatt
D. Øks
E. Felg
F. Speil
Guess I picked the wrong answer, because it booted me back to the start. Oh, well, so it goes.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Tee hee, I never knew we had such and exclusive registration system. Sorry about that.

Ok, here we go:
http://www.forest.gen.nz/Medieval/artic ... s/erik.jpg

The things going across "Erik's" belt are belt mounts.

.....the correct answer is "D"; øks = axe. Big Grin
what about tablet-weaved belts?
ALA I BATAVORUM
We have some tablet woven sashes, and it looks like the belt above is tablet woven, but I think, just from the gut feeling, that it's later than Augustan/1st Cent. The buckles and fittings look to be later than that. Am I right?

I was trying to find what kind of buckles would be appropriate if the person wanted a leather belt. I didn't specify Principate to mid 1st C. Sorry.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Civilian belts... Flavius Novellius Curtis 0 63 11-10-2023, 06:28 PM
Last Post: Flavius Novellius Curtis