Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trajan: Optimus Princeps by Julian Bennett
Hello,<br>
I have this bokok coming in on an interlibrary loan request, which I typically do before I decide to purchase. Has anyone read this book? Does anyone have opinions on it's quality and accuracy? I'm particularly interested in the Dacian and Parthian campaigns.<br>
thanks,<br>
Jeff <p></p><i></i>
Hi JeffFig,<br>
<br>
As I remember Bennett is a bit of a revisionist although probably of more interest is that Routledge have published a second edition this year - is it this or the Indiana Uni First edition you have requested? (A second edition form Routledgemust imply that the work is regarded reasonably highly and Bennett has written other imperial biographies) I only had a brief look and there didn't seem to be too many changes although there must be some.<br>
<br>
Regarding the Parthian and Dacian campaigns there are several works available - Lepper's Trajan's Parthian War was republished by Ares a few years ago and then there is an article by Lightfoot(?) 'Trajan's Parthian War and the fourth century perspective' - I will track down the exact reference if you don't have it already.<br>
<br>
Other than that we are restricted pretty much to Dio and the fragments (the Ares reprint included the fragments of Arrian's Parthica - which may or may not be related). Aelian's Tactica was probably written for the campaign (see Devine - A new translation of Aelian's Tactica Theoria' in The Ancient World 19 (1989) - 31ff.<br>
<br>
As to the Dacian campaign there are several works of which I have none of the specific details (such as Trajan's army on Trajan's column) but I am sure they are listed here somewhere - if not on Hugh Elton's bibliography site.<br>
<br>
Sorry not to be more specific or helpful.<br>
<br>
I did some work on the campaigns once and came up with very little.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Muzzaguchi <p></p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
Muzzaguchi,<br>
I'd appreciate the references very much. I haven't read them and look forward to doing so. I'll have to check the edition. the interlibrary load came through, looks informative but dry so far.<br>
thanks,<br>
Jeff <p></p><i></i>
Hi JeffFig<br>
<br>
Here they are:<br>
<br>
C. Lightfoot 'trajan's Parthian War and the Fourth Century Perspective' JRS 80 (1990) 115-126.<br>
<br>
R. P. Longden 'Notes on the Parthian Campaigns of Trajan' JRS 21 (1931) 1-35.<br>
<br>
F Lepper Trajan's Parthian War (oxford, 194EM<br>
<br>
A Poulter 'The Lower Moesian Limes and the Dacian Wars of Trajan' in C Unz (ed) Studien zu den Militargrenzen Roms III (1986) 519-528<br>
[you'll probably need to interloan this]<br>
<br>
I Richmond Trajan's Army on Trajan's Column PBSR 13 (1935) 1-40<br>
<br>
[I haven't seen]<br>
P Sijpesteijn 'Traianus Dacicus and the Papyri' Mnemosyne 36 (1983) 359-366.<br>
<br>
And there are probably lots more in Bennett's biography and general books on the Roman army are normally filled with images from Trajan's column and have something on the two campaigns.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Muzzaguchi<br>
<br>
<br>
<p>It is an unscrupulous intellect that does not pay Antiquity its due reverence - Erasmus of Rotterdam</p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9