Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Korinthian Diolkos (animated movie)
http://www.naftemporiki.gr/video/video.asp?id=27474&s=0
Here's a great video about the function of the Diolkos in Korinth. Describes the process in detail,so it is suitable for non greek speakers.

Would triremes use the Diolkos?
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Wow, it's very nicely done. I couldn't understand a word, but the animation is quite understandable. Thanks for posting Smile

I have a question though, what was the sand the poor guy was shovelling for? It was probably explained, but only in words I think...
Best wishes

Roman Vávra
The route of the diolkos wasn't in flat terrain. It reached a hight of,I think, 80 m by the men pulling the ship up,and from there started the downward route where the men were behind the ship keeping the ropes to prevent it from accelerating. To help this,they put wet sand on the diolkos to raise friction with the wheels.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Ah, thank you, it seems quite obvious now Smile
Best wishes

Roman Vávra
All they needed was Heron's steam power and some of the piston pumps they used and history might have been quite different. I can just see them laying track to Persepolis.:grin:
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Giannis - that was absolutely fantastic, thanks for sharing it with us 8-) :-D

I have read about this before of course, but that video really brought it to life. Poor blokes - all that sweat - I thought they used oxen. What would happen if they met a ship being hauled from the other direction? Were there passing points (like with trains)? A pity they hadn't invented the turntable (also like trains) at either end though!

Mind you it was nice to see an ancester of Vangelis doing his thing in the taverna!:wink:

The wonders of CGI and the internet. I really hope to see more of this sort of thing. Whole cities (Athens etc.) brought to life - the Panathenaic processions etc. Just marvellous - thanks again.
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Fascinating! :-)

Back breaking work, I promise not to complain about my job anymore!

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
Paul, your idea could be the start of a new fiction genre - Heronian Steampunk Big Grin
Victorian Steampunk is beginning to get a bit overdone anyway...
Best wishes

Roman Vávra
Quote:Mind you it was nice to see an ancester of Vangelis doing his thing in the taverna!:wink:

I still do it as a job in the taverna twice a week.Without microphones and such. Though not with the descendant of the hydraulis but that of the pandouris.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
[attachment=59]Spartapunk.jpg[/attachment]

Ah...what might have been. I'll write a story if you will Wink Just think how it uses that ram.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
That was an interesting animation.
i was also wondering why they didn't use oxen or mules.
Also the crane, I wonder why they had no turntable there as well.

Still, the animated water really made me want to be in Greece again...
I love the Med!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Ah...what might have been. I'll write a story if you will Wink Just think how it uses that ram.
That picture really made me laugh, well done :lol:
Best wishes

Roman Vávra