Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Third century chest protectors
Quote:I am not 100% sure but from the top of my head, I believe the mail shirt found in Bertoldsheim had a breast plate (although of the one piece type).

That is correct. It is the only mail shirt, I can recall, that uses this type of chest protectors. The Bertoldsheim mail lorica wasn’t made with the conventional 4-in-1 pattern, but utilises various other weaving techniques and also contains “figure-8” shaped rings.

Adrian, if I recall correctly I have a photo version of the article concerned. PM me your e-mail address and I can send you a copy.

I have been looking, without much luck, for the following paper by the same author which might illustrate more mail examples:

Quote:Garbsch, J.
2000 Verschlusssache: Panzer, Kettenhemden und kimmerische Gewänder. Bayerische Vorgeschichtsblätter 65, pp. 109-123.

Maybe somebody on this board has access to this article and is willing to share?

Cheers,
Martijn
Quote:I believe the mail shirt found in Bertoldsheim had a breast plate (although of the one piece type).

Alternatively, it could be a backplate (B&C2 Fig.109,3).

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
So to go back to Peronis' question

"There is no reason why you would actually need a larger neck opening on a mail shirt. It's Understandable for something less flexible, such as scale or even lamellar/locking scale."

Some initial possible thoughts on why some chest protectors have a central split, joined by a long pin:-

- Split mail shirt (but why?)
-increases flexibility when taking off or putting on the mail shirt?
-Ummmm........
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Means that the shirt can be removed more easily in case of injury?
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Martijn,

Quote:Garbsch, J.
2000 Verschlusssache: Panzer, Kettenhemden und kimmerische Gewänder. Bayerische Vorgeschichtsblätter 65, pp. 109-123.

I have a copy and have sent you a private message.

The Bertoldsheim plate is the only one listed in the article which is connected to mail.

In addition he has a catalogue of 8 find spots of one piece plates he connects to "Kimmerian vests" and approx. 70 find spots (some yielding as many as 10 specimens) of two part plates he connects to scale armour.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Quote:There is no reason why you would actually need a larger neck opening on a mail shirt.

Should there be a reason?

By approaching the subject through the idea of a sequence of mere functional constructional changes, other possibilities are omitted. Of course, such a closure system would allow the mail shirt to be fitted much tighter around the neck area than without such a system. This could be an advantage both on the battlefield as in the hippika gymnasia (which in literature is frequently associated with so called “parade armour” and these ornamented objects), protecting more of the vulnerable neck area. Then again, other non-constructional/functional explanations can be just as valid. How about fashion, status, or the possibility to display or convey a message through ornamentation?

@ Jens
Thank you very much.

Regards,
Martijn
The pattern of the rings is very interesting on the Bertoldsheim shirt! Some very strange figure '8' rings in there!

Thanks for the copy Martijn!

The piece featured in the Garbsch article seems to have all the fastening parts in situ - something that could be very uncomfortable if worn without padding beneath!

What you said earlier Martijn about making a tighter fit could apply to this piece. A way of 'locking you tightly in' to the cuirass once it has been put on. It seems to be a large single plate that would have been fitted to fully secure the wearer into their cuirass and possibly covering up a larger neck opening perhaps for locked scale - where there is minimal flexibility.