Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Request for help
I am attempting to compile information on the Romano-Byzantine army covering the period of 395 to 1453 AD with the aim of writing a book. I want to ask those who have an interest in this topic to contact me if they want to contribute to this project. The final product would be similar to two existing books on the later Roman army (Warfare in Roman Europe 350-425 by Hugh Elton, and The Later Roman Army by Pat Southern and Karen Dixon) and hopefully complement two existing books on the Byzantine army (Byzantine Wars by John Haldon and Byzantium and Its Army 284-1081 by Warren Treadgold).<br>
<br>
I am willing to accept just about anything in the way of support from suggestions on content to providing written, representational and physical evidence related to the military forces. Interested parties are encouraged to look at the contents of the above-mentioned books (and any other publications known to them) when thinking about what they would want to contribute. One example of the type of input is the provision of unpublished theses, papers, and articles that are only known to a few, but may be of interest to a wider audience.<br>
<br>
Currently, I am concentrating on the organisation, tactics, weapons, equipment, armour and clothing. Other topics can be considered based on what is of interest to potential readers and what information is provided for inclusion.<br>
<br>
While the development of a single source on this subject may be too ambitious, I want to compile as much information as possible and try to develop a detailed database. I can see much of this information being used on a website that can be accessed (and eventually expanded) by anyone. The emphasis is on collecting data and sharing it so that the largest possible audience benefits from a group effort to cooperate, corroborate and communicate.<br>
<br>
Everyone who does contribute will be acknowledged in the list of contributors at a minimum and possibly given a more impressive role.<br>
<br>
Perry<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Sorry I do not have extensive knowledge of the Byzantine Empire yet, but I would like to thank you for writing a book, or going to write one, on the Byzantine era. Perhaps this will help get the Byzantine empire more attention as it seems to be uninteresting to a lot of people and I for one have an extreme fascination with it. <p></p><i></i>
"Freedom was at stake- freedom, which whets the courage of brave men"- Titus Livius

Nil recitas et vis, Mamerce, poeta videri.
Quidquid vis esto, dummodo nil recites!- Martial
Thank you for the support. I would be interested in knowing what you would want in terms of content. There is no point writing a book if no one reads it.<br>
<br>
Perry <p></p><i></i>
I am a student studying both Rome and Byzantium, as it has the greek aspect to it after 1054. There seems to be a severe understudy of the Byzantine Empire in English at least and I would read anything put up about the Byzantine empire. Whenever I'm at borders looking around the history and fiction section, I enjoy historical fiction almost as much as the more academic readings, I see no sources on Byzantium so your book would be a welcome change. <p>THERE ARE NO STUPID PEOPLE, ONLY PEOPLE STUPID ENOUGH TO NOT KNOW WHEN THEY'VE MADE A MISTAKE</p><i></i>
"Freedom was at stake- freedom, which whets the courage of brave men"- Titus Livius

Nil recitas et vis, Mamerce, poeta videri.
Quidquid vis esto, dummodo nil recites!- Martial