Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Montefortino from the River Adda in Pizzeghetone
As said in another topic... Does someone have pictures of the hinges of a Montefortino (an original one), seen from the inside and outside! Need them!
Eduardo Vázquez
I have Paddock's thesis - was particularly interested in the Montefortino helmets. There was lead sandwiched between the two layers of bronze of the cheekpieces. Some of these helmets must have been very heavy, beyond what one would expect of these helmets.
I keep thinking of the Romans at Cannae under the broiling sun and wearing such heavy helmets.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
Do you have the reference to Paddock's thesis? Many thanks.
M. Caecilius M.f. Maxentius - Max C.

Qui vincit non est victor nisi victus fatetur
- Q. Ennius, Annales, Frag. XXXI, 493

Secretary of the Ricciacus Frënn (http://www.ricciacus.lu/)
Quintus is right. Some of the helmets had cheek-pieces made with three layers (bronze in the outside and inside and a lead or iron layer between them). Cheek-pieces of type I (trefoil shape) and IV (exaggerated bicuspid) exactly. When i read Coarelli's paper describing the helmet from River Adda it surprised me. I thought i had read Paddock's thesis thoroughly but it seems i had not, it was there. Pages 531 and 768.

I keep asking: some detailed pictures of the hinges! Please!
Eduardo Vázquez
Ciao Tiberius,
unfortunately I have not found a better image (or any others images) of the Montefortino from Cremona. I have found an Italian publications that speak of your helmet, but again with not "new" photos:
(G. Galli 1998 - Gli elmi dei legionari, in "Tesori della Postumia: archeologia e storia intorno ad una grande strada romana alle radici dell’Europa", pp. 189-190, Cremona)

I believe that the first article where the helmet appear is:
G. Pontiroli (1974) Catalogo della sezione archeologica del museo civico 'Ala Ponzone ' di Cremona, p. 212, tav. CLXI.
The museum catalog, where the helmet is the number 317 of the inventory.
I have not seen this text, maybe there you can find other images …

M. Caecilius wrote:

Do you have the reference to Paddock's thesis? Many thanks.

I would like to now either the reference to Paddock's thesis... Many thanks in advance

Very Best.
S.M.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)
Always so helpful, Stefano! Another picture, small but useful. I'll search for that paper (Pontirolli), it may be difficult, but you never know what you can find in the web.

Concerning Paddocks's thesis, i don't understand you and Max. Do you want me to send you the thesis?

I keep asking for pictures of the hinges in the cheek-pieces! Big Grin From any Montefortino!
Eduardo Vázquez
If you have the Paddocks's thesis in a digital format (pdf, doc…), and you can send it to me it would be very kind. I quickly looked for some photos, apology for the low quality, but those were taken a while ago.

--------
SM.

-Drawing of a bronze helmet found in tomb in the north of Italy (Pegazzano, La Spezia) - 3rd c. BC
-Cheek-piece of the Pulica’s bronze helmet (Fosdinovo, Massa-Carrara) – first half 3rd c. BC

--------
SM.

Guau, Stefano! Just what i was looking for! Perfect! The pictures are excelent! Send me a PM with your email and i'll send you the thesis (the same for Max).
Eduardo Vázquez
Paddock's thesis is also available online:

http://ethos.bl.uk/Home.do

search for "Paddock"
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
And it is FREE on the Ethos (British Library Online Thesis) site. That is where I got my copy.
Quinton Johansen
I didn't know it was available and free on Ethos...
Thanks for the suggestion and thanks anyway Eduardo for your availability.
--------
SM.

It is also a huge file - as most of the doctoral theses on the site are. But, well worth reading. Because I was primarily interested in the Montefortino, Coolus and Hagenau helmets I printed in full the second part and also parts of the first section-primarily introductory material, table of contents, etc.
You just need to set up a login with them. At least that is so for me in the USA.

It is always interesting how different scholars, etc. decide on their classification systems for things like Roman (or in this case: Bronze Italian...) helmets. I have owned H. Russell Robinson's The Armour of Imperial Rome since 1976, when it was new.
Quinton Johansen