Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McEdonians?
Here's a probable proof of the original scottish ancestry of the Macedonians, or raher the McEdonians, from the McEdon clan, I suppose... Big Grin
Ahem.. Anyways.. Some interesting ancient instruments there, including a bagpipe!
[url:rutuxnsn]http://www.macedonian-heritage.gr/Museums/Archaeological_and_Byzantine/Arxaiwv_Mousikvn_Organvn.html[/url]
Pascal Sabas
Well your humor sometimes is difficult to understand but that doeasnot make it any less funny!

According to Pausanias Makednos=Tall so who knows Scotish immigrands might not be allowed to settle!!!!

Time machine any one?

Kind regards

Stefanos
ha ha ha Big Grin D
so not only did my fellow Scots build the modern world they shaped the anceint one too and all through the power of the pipes!
Tasciavanous
AKA James McKeand
Quote:not only did my fellow Scots build the modern world they shaped the anceint one too

Macedonians were Scottish?

That explains how ancient copper wire was invented - two Macedonians were fighting over a coin......

Big Grin
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Yep. It looks like the bagpipe is a very, very old instrument.
Actually, the bagpipe, with its essential complement, the bagpiper, complete with kilt, plaid, bearskin, red hair and beard and fiery eyes is one great gift from the Scots to civilization..
Second only to whisky. Big Grin
While we're on Scots, could someone explain to this non-Scot person here the difference between someone called, for instance, McIntosh, and someone else called MACintosh. I was told once that there is a BIG difference but while told that using one instead of the other was considered a serious breach of courtesy, if not a clear "casus belli", I wasn't told the difference.
Any scottish scholar around here? :?:
Pascal Sabas
So the Picts invaded from Scythia and the Scots left for Macedonia. The Irish were invaded by Greek Scythians, and left for Greece. The Scots came back and then went home as the Dalriadans........ :lol:
Regards
Arthes....
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:While we're on Scots, could someone explain to this non-Scot person here the difference between someone called, for instance, McIntosh, and someone else called MACintosh. I was told once that there is a BIG difference but while told that using one instead of the other was considered a serious breach of courtesy, if not a clear "casus belli", I wasn't told the difference.
Any scottish scholar around here? :?:
I can't be sure, but Mac means son of/descended from and Mc is an abbreviation which is sometimes just prefixed on. It is a matter of pride in your ancestry and Clan...
Like the difference between MacDonald and McDonald...I am sure the Lords of the Isles do not like being compared to Roland the burger!
The Scots do not like being called Scotch either.... :wink:
Incidentially, the difference between Mac and Mc is legally recognised in Scotland....!
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:could someone explain to this non-Scot person here the difference between someone called, for instance, McIntosh, and someone else called MACintosh.
One reason I was once told (though I'm not certain) is that "Mac..." is Scottish, but "Mc..." indicates an Irish influence. There is another one - "M'..." which is supposed to be more common in Ireland, used by descendants of Scottish emmigrants to Ulster. Or something like that.

I once asked if I could wear the Mackellar tartan (I have McKellar roots) and was told no. However, I asked someone else and they said yes. All very confusing :roll: I opted not to, the tartan being more precious to a Scot than a cingulum was to a legionary :evil:

(added)
However, according to this page I could have worn the tartan:
[url:mvg7lciz]http://www.scotsheritage.co.uk/surnamehistory/surnames_and_ancestry_in_scotlandv001.htm[/url]

Mc and Mac are just two ways of saying "son of" derived in the 13th C. Very Nordic, which makes sense, but apparently also very Gaellic :?

"Vic" was also used to denote "son of" (like "ibn") and there is a great name on the page above from 1617:
Hector MacGorrie Vic Achan Vic Allester Vic Ean duff, son of Gorrie MacAchan Vic Allester Vic Ean duff.

Crikey, looks like a comma was used so the guy could take a breath.

Cheers.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!