Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi-tech Archeology - Roman Ruins Uncovered
Hi-tech Archeology Big Grin

[url:2s1zh425]http://www.nature.com/news/2005/050912/pf/050912-6_pf.html[/url]
Jaime
Hey, that's pretty darn cool!!!

How much of the site will they be able to excavate at any given time? I know little about how such digs happen.

Legion: TBD
Depends on amount of people and funding avaliable, think years not mounths.
"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again." Maya Angelou
Hi guys
using Google Earth
I tried looking for Hadrian's wall but the resolution is too poor.
Is it a feature or a bug (my lousy PC)?
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
For everything else but the US there are so far no high-resolution pics Sad
Only for a few areas, which are in a browner shade, there is better resolution available.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Aerial pictures were a giant improvement in the field of archaeology and no doubt satellite pictures are another giant step. I am thinking not only about european archaeology, but also about pre-columbian archaeology where almost everything is still to be discovered and more often that not archaeological sites are almost inaccessible by land.

Goffredo: "This sentnce has three erors."

Sentnce: 1st error.
Eror: 2nd error.
The fact that there are two errors only: the 3rd error.
Ha! Big Grin
Pascal Sabas
But then the sentence is true! Hmmm. The sentence ocillates between being wrong and true. Different levels of truth! Ah che bello
Jeffery Wyss
I suppose that this is the site?
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/ ... parma4.jpg
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
Quote:Aerial pictures were a giant improvement in the field of archaeology and no doubt satellite pictures are another giant step.

Yup, now you don't have to soil your hands in 2,000 year old muck :lol:

Well, not yet. Maybe soon though :wink:
Jaime
Here is a link to world wide imagery. There is an international standard restricting shared satellite imagery to 5m. resolution, unless that has changed.

http://geoengine.nima.mil/geospatial/SW ... _roam.html

Use the point and click navigation, or lat/long to go where you want.

When imagery is combined with a Geographical information System (GIS) it is the optimal tool for site specific analysis. For those of you who may not know, A GIS differs from a CAD in that it is a spatial database with a graphic interface. Like "Plot all find sites of Segmentata type fittings that are within 1000 m. of Auxillia fort locations > 100m. sq. and < 500m. sq." All you have to have is a regional data set. The purpose of GIS is analysis to spatial relationships and distributions at any level.

If there is no data set of Roman sites, it would be fun to build one... This would consist of location along with diagnostic and descriptive attributes. Once the database structure is built (critical, done right first time), and a data input protocol established, any interested party could download a browser GIS that is capable of analyzing and displaying data, without monkeying around with the original data set. Like ARC/Explorer.

I have licensed ARC/Info, and ArcView 9 (not cheap) on my home PC. I was trying to use GIS for crime analysis and emergency planning with local Police agencies, but there was no real interest in using GIS as a crime interdiction or emergency planning tool. Political turf wars prevailed. Now comes Katrina and Rita. Nuff said.

Gaius Decius Aquilius
(Ralph Izard)
Hi guys
for fun I used google-earth to look at Instanbul and was happy to see that photos are of good resolution. Check out the walls! From the satellite photos there are very long stretches of walls free of nearby buildings. I haven't visited Istanbul yet but when I do I will certainly take a taxi or rent a car to visit the walls.
Jeffery Wyss
Greetings,
a fantastic find.... Big Grin
On a historical forum recently we were asked to use a similar sytem to look at what could be a Roman encampment and give our opinions.
I will be checking out 'oop here' in the North of England a bit more, I was told by somebody a few years back of something they saw that has since disappeared into the undergrowth and they couldn't remember exactly where it was...that sounded Roman. In a village I lived in for a few years, were supposedly the traces of a Roman road and Roman and Saxon dwellings....I used to be forever walking around trying to find traces of them..!!!
Quote:Yup, now you don't have to soil your hands in 2,000 year old muck
Oh I would love to.....!!!
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Belgrade and Roman Ruins/Museums Longovicium 12 3,115 08-29-2023, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Longovicium
  London's largest Roman mosaic find for 50 years uncovered Robert Vermaat 0 195 02-24-2022, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Gallo-Roman Ruins of Champlieu, France Roman Military History is 4 Me 3 1,482 06-29-2014, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Scipio Second