Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
British Auxillia?
For a project at college on the Romanization of Britain I decided to see if I could do a case study on the auxilia units the Romans must have taken from Britain.

I know there is a reference in the Annals (which I'm reading ATM) but are there any other sources on the subject?

According to my tutor this is a postgrad level study but 'm enjoying the subject enough that I'll do that.
Real name- Peter Downing
Quote:For a project at college on the Romanization of Britain I decided to see if I could do a case study on the auxilia units the Romans must have taken from Britain.
I know there is a reference in the Annals (which I'm reading ATM) but are there any other sources on the subject?
According to my tutor this is a postgrad level study but 'm enjoying the subject enough that I'll do that.

Ave Legatus,

If I understand your question correctly, you're trying to find out about the Auxiliary units recruited from Britannia for posting to other Provinces?

The only source that I can put my hands on at the moment is from Paul A. Holder and entitled "Studies in the Auxilia of the Roman Army from Augustus to Trajan" published by BAR in 1980, page 217.

This publication is based, in the main, on Paul Holder's Ph. D. thesis from December of 1978.

Please see the attached chart. This is a summary of page 217.

I'll leave a little bit of the work for you. Let's see if you can work out what the abbreviations mean.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
[Image: spedius-mcmxliii.gif]
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
North London Wargames Group
Ave Legatus,

I have no idea what you do or don't know, so instead of making things hard for you, which isn't considered to be very helpful, I've attached a list of the Provincial abbreviations.

I do hope that the two sets of information will help you with your project.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
You might also take a look at John Spaul's Cohors 2 BAR International series 841 (Oxford 2000). It list all possible auxiliary infantry units, but is not faultless!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Ave Legatus,

The subject of your search has a history.

First came Conrad Cichorius, 1893, in R.C.A., I have no access.
Second was G. L. Cheesman, 1914, see attachment.
Third was Paul Holder, 1980, see my first post.
Fourth was John Spaul, 1994 in Ala2 & 2000 in Cohors2, to be advised.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to wait for the data from John Spaul, as it will be the most up to date.

I'll try to tabulate it for you in the near future.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Quote:The subject of your search has a history.
First came Conrad Cichorius, 1893. Second was G. L. Cheesman, 1914. Third was Paul Holder, 1980. Fourth was John Spaul, 1994 in Ala2 & 2000 in Cohors2.
... and you *must* dig out "The Roman Army in Britain and Britons in the Roman Army" by Brian Dobson and John Mann: Britannia 4 (1973), pp. 191-205.
Your chances of finding it are increased threefold, because it was reprinted in:
J.C. Mann, Britain and the Roman Empire (Aldershot: Variorum, 1996)
and in:
D.J. Breeze & B. Dobson, Roman Officers and Frontiers (Stuttgart: Steiner, 1993) = Mavors vol. 10.
Hopefully, your library has one of these sources.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Thanks for all the help guys! Much appreciated.
Real name- Peter Downing