Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
summer camp
Hi guys
was reading just the other day an ariticle on an italian newspaper about summer camps in the U.S., about them being a loved american tradition and how over the recent years adult summer camps have become a huge business. In them (frequently theme camp; e.g. rock-star camps, western camps, ...) adults behave for a couple weeks-month as teenagers if not as children, just to live out some old but never dead fantasy.

I immediately thought of a limes summer camp, a "roman frontier life".
- basic boot camp,
- drilling, marching, duties,
- in same area a mirror germanic summer camp with germanic martial life-style of an alemanni war-band
- "fighting" the opponent to see if discipline and drill can win over brave brute individualism

bye bye
just having a fantasy. I am too old but would be really tempted to sign up for a month. I could lose weight, get some muscle back, learn how to dig a latrine, setup a tent, start a fire, cook a meal, shove a scutum in the groin of a big yelling germanic (the are still many that still dicend into Italy during the summer months, and the vast majority are very civil and educated, more than the italian average, but occasionally there are some drink too much and I would just love to...)
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
Yeah, nice idea, but I´d rather call it ´boot camp´ instead of ´summer camp´, so as not to deceive those who enlist....
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
An interesting idea...

Calling it Boot Camp is indeed the way to go, and I think there would be many who would sign up to a week or two.

It could be structured in a two tier manner -- one tier with academic lectures on the history of Rome, the Roman Army, battles, tactics etc. and the other tier a practical exercise in living as a Roman soldier.

The real questions are cost and logistics.

What would it cost the organizer and how much would the individual participant have to pay?

Who would supply the required equipment as many of the participants would not have the the proper kit for a legion recruit?

If those two questions can be answered then this idea just might be more than a summer idyll.

This would take a mountain of work to pull off successfully, but then doing something well always does take work.

Interesting idea...

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Oh, I planned a fully reconstructed working Roman fort as both a museum and an experimental archaeology centre that did just that.

Sadly, it was only for my degree. I don't think anyone would ever fund me to do it. Cry

It would cost millions though. And you'd need someone well known and respected to head the whole thing up.
Georgina Mnew,

Student, Exeter University
Millions indeed.

There are many summer camps here in California: Space Camp, Computer Camp, Oceanography Camp etc. etc .etc.

Of course most of these camps have corporate sponsors that tie in with their focus.

For Ancient Rome...

Other than Roman Meal Bread, there are not any that I can think of.

Even so I do like the idea -- the practical aspects though, they have me at a loss... :?

Now, if Steven Spielberg, or George Lucas or Bill Gates were interested in Ancient Rome, then we might have a chance... :wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Well you see I live in the UK, so it might be a more feasible idea here, and also there are plenty of heritage places to apply to for funding.

It you were going to do it properly and academically, and not make it too much like a theme park.

Because it would actually be a hugely helpful thing to have in terms of education. At least I think it would. But then I suspect I may be ever so slightly biased in my opinions. :wink:

Anyway, if the Eden Project can be one of the biggest visitor attraction in the UK with a just a bunch of plants and in spite of it being about a milion miles from anywhere (it's two hours from Exeter, and we're the end of the nearest motorway (a highway if you're from the colonies :wink: )), then why shouldn't a fully functional Roman Fortress be even bigger?
Georgina Mnew,

Student, Exeter University
They're now planning one here in the Netherlands, right across the river from me. Slightly sceptical if they'll ever get permission and money, but it would be cool! -> http://www.noviolocus.nl
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:They're now planning one here in the Netherlands, right across the river from me. Slightly sceptical if they'll ever get permission and money, but it would be cool! -> http://www.noviolocus.nl

Noviolocus indeed! The organiser of Carvium Novum has another go at it! Well done!

Ahh.. Click on the image of the park and you get the old picture of the (now defunct Carvium NovumPark)....
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sherwood Forest Summer Camp M. Demetrius 15 2,532 08-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius