Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestions for a reenactor\'s library
Greetings all,

It occurred to me that I've become so engrossed in recreating the gear of our period that I haven't paid much attention to the actual *history* since leaving university. It's all gotten a bit fuzzy and with Christmas rolling around I figure it's a good time to restock my library.

SO, sing out one and all with your favorite titles on the subject of Roman Britain. Bonus points for titles that specifically deal with the end of Roman Britain and the transition period that followed.

(And yes, I'm already aware that there's at least one volume in print that's simply titled "The End of Roman Britain". :lol: )
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!
After I made that initial post I thought...hmmm...what's wrong with obsession!? :lol:

If you have a favorite book focusing on the archaeological record or physical remains of Roman Britain, I'd love to hear that too!
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
personal favourite is Casey, P.J. (1994) "Carausius and Allectus: the British Usurpers" London, Batsford - ISBN 0713471700

not quite the end of Roman Britain, but getting there...for the naval aspect of the transitional period I suggest Haywood, J. (1999) "Dark Age Naval Power" Norfolk, Anglo-Saxon - ISBN 189828122X (2nd ed)

which deals mainly with late Roman, Saxon and Frankish naval activity and is not too well known, but a really interesting read. But that may be to do with my obsession with all things naval. But then...YOU implied that nothing is wrong with obsessions...
:wink:

C.
Christoph Rummel
Indeed there isn't, as anyone on this forum can attest. Thanks!
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
where is Sander van Dorst when you need him!!!!!

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.