Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ever tried crossing the Menai Straits?
Salve Vorti,

OK, it was a stupid thing to do but we had just passed our finals and were were boored! The current wasn't that strong, and actually walking was the most tiring bit as the mud just clung to your feet and made them twice as heavy. Actually being able to swim was a relief. The current wasn't that strong, but strong enough to send us to Beaumaris. I certainly wouldn't recomment trying it by the Menai bridge though.

Vale,

Celer.
Marcus Antonius Celer/Julian Dendy.
Quote:OK, it was a stupid thing to do but we had just passed our finals and were were boored! The current wasn't that strong, and actually walking was the most tiring bit as the mud just clung to your feet and made them twice as heavy. Actually being able to swim was a relief. The current wasn't that strong, but strong enough to send us to Beaumaris. I certainly wouldn't recomment trying it by the Menai bridge though.

That's actually a lot further than where they think the Romans crossed, which is just below the bridges on the Vaynol Estate. Not as far but, as you say, a hell of a current!
Arturus Uriconium
a.k.a Mak Wilson
May the horse be with you!
[url:17bayn0a]http://www.makltd.biz[/url]
Vale,

Also a hell of an undertow around the bridge as well. I know the occasional leaper from the Menai Bridge tends to turn up some way away, often as far a Conwy or Canaervon. You certainly wouldn't catch me trying to cross there, even with an inflatable sheep.

Vale,

Celer.
Marcus Antonius Celer/Julian Dendy.