Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dogskin Caps
I am looking on some more information on the Dogskin caps that were worn.

I have been looking through the past topics, and it seems that there were quite a few varieties. For example, it was stated in the Marathon thread that the Boeotian and pilos style caps were both made of dogskin or felt.

Does anyone know how these were constructed? I assume they were in either the skullcap or pilos shape, but does anyone have any other info? i.e. how many piece construction they were, would they have been ornamented or plain (the only example I have seen where it was ID'd as such was a vase with Hephaestus and it was unadorned.).

Also, I'm sure this sounds foolish, but were they actually made of dog skin leather or furred pelt or is that another word for a different type of material?

Also, it seems that these were for more for peasnts and travelers over those of a wealthier class. I remember it has been mentioned that the Helots were required to wear them as a mark of their status in the 300's. Would it be even feasible for a hoplite to wear one?

I am considering making one to wear (it will be better than the modified CW Zouave cap I wear now) The two impressions I would be wearing it for would be either a early 6th c Lakonian or a 4th C Syracusan. I would like to make it, I want it to be as accurate as humanly possible, both for materials and construction as for era.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Michelle E. Hildebrant
[url:3r4j67h2]http://hoplite480.livejournal.com/[/url]