Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taifali Warriors
Ave Civitas,

I am doing research on a portion of my novel that deals with the Danubian Goths.

Their mounted contingent was a tribe named the Taifali.

Does anyone have information or can point me toward sources about this tribe?

I need, if I can get it, information on their clothing, armor, living habits, did they speak the Gothic German or another language?

Thanks. you guys are great.

me.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
Salve,
on Taifali, you can check:

Wolfram, "History of the Goths", 1988, pp. 57-58
Schmidt, L. "Die Ostgermanen", Munchen 1952, pp. 546-548
Fluss, M., "Taifali" in R.E. der classichen ALtertumswissenschaft, II,8 1932

A few primary sources (incomplete listing, of course):

XII Panegyrici Latini, XI (III) 17,1)
Zosimus IV, 25,1
Ammianus Marcellinus XVII.13.19-20

Vale
Iuppiter Optimus Maximus resistere atque iterare pugnam iubet
(Liv. I.12)

Tiberius Claudius Nero
a.k.a. Carlo Sansilvestri

CONTUBERNIUM
SISMA - Società Italiana per gli Studi Militari Antichi
You could check out this webpage ... Big Grin //www.comitatus.net/cavalry.htm">http://www.comitatus.net/cavalry.htm

...where we try to breath a little life into the Taifali!
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Sources are ambivalent about the Taifali, and so have researchers. Some claim the are a Gothic sub-tribe, other see them as Huns..
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Infact.
They're also seen sometimes as ethnically linked to Vandals (Wolfram).
Possibly they were constantly strictly bound to Goths (particularly Tervingi) under social, political and military points of view, without, perhaps, being a Gothic tribe (ethnically speaking) themselves - anyway as you say the issue seems to be ambiguous.
This ambiguity is reflected also by the fact that among the 5 circumstances in which contingents were probably sent by Goths to Romans under the treaty of 332 AD (we talked about this in the topic about Julian's army in Persia), while 4 of them are unanimously mentioned by historians, the one involving Taifali (358AD, in order to take care of the Limigantes) is mentioned only by some of them, in this context.
Vale
(Liv. I.12)

Tiberius Claudius Nero

CONTUBERNIUM
Ave Civitas,

I wish to thank all you who contributed. I always learn so much each time I visit. You guys are great.

Me.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

I raised this question on another list after a proposal to re-evaluate the etymology of the english place name Tealby (Lincolnshire). The new etymology is derived from the Taifali and the place from the Equites Taifali who, if the etymology is correct were presumably stationed there. This is the feedback:

"They are sometimes classified as East Germanic and sometimes as non-Germanic."

"A. Sitzmann in the RGA says the ethnic attribution
remains unresolved. The author states that there is no agreement if the
name had T- or Th- in the Anlaut. Müllenhoff argued for a second
component Gothic *falh, which is also found in the Saxon groups of the
Westfali and Ostfali and which means plains. This leaves the problem of
the first component Tai- or Thai-. Sitzmann states that this is
probably not Germanic. Also the only Taifalian personal name Senoch
(genere Theifalus), mentioned by Gregory of Tours does not point to a
Germanic people. The name may be related to the Celtic name Senacos."

"Whatever their exact ethnic attribution was, it is clear that the
Taifali were closely associated with the Goths. What is surprising is
that St. Senoch (536-576) could still be called a Taifalian by
Gregory of Tours. Senoch must have been a second or third generation
Taifalian migrant when he was born near Poitiers."

best

Harry A
Harry Amphlett
Quote: What is surprising is
that St. Senoch (536-576) could still be called a Taifalian by
Gregory of Tours. Senoch must have been a second or third generation
Taifalian migrant when he was born near Poitiers."

Salve,
very interesting, and it makes perfectly sense.
The Notitia Dignitatum lists a Praefectus Sarmatarum et Taifalorum Gentilium at Pictavis (modern Poitiers): these praefecti gentilium (just like praefecti laetorum , both are widely attested in the ND) were heads of offices whose aim was organize and manage the settlement of large groups of barbarians within the empire (see: Barbero, "Barbari", 2006).
So, in late IV century, an office was active in Poitiers in order to organize the settlement of large communities of Sarmatians and Taifali in the area.
There were 5 more in Gaul related to Sarmatians only.
Vale
(Liv. I.12)

Tiberius Claudius Nero

CONTUBERNIUM
I still find it fascinating to see that all these very different groups apparently 'vanished' into the larger Gallo-Roman and Frankish groups that we know know as 'the French'. I guess that groups like the Taifali, Sarmatians, Alans and others, changed their old customs to soon resemble their neighbours.

Had Gregory not told us about that man, we would never have realised that such groups stayed where they were settled and lost their own particalar identity. There must be many Europeans (and, hence Americans), who are descended from former steppe warriors.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Had Gregory not told us about that man, we would never have realised that such groups stayed where they were settled and lost their own particalar identity. There must be many Europeans (and, hence Americans), who are descended from former steppe warriors.

-------------------------------------------------

My Grandparents migrated to Australia from Greece in 1914. After doing some research on my family name "Taifalos" and history I stumbled upon the Taifali warriors and became very interested in gothic history and who the Taifali warriors were. This has pushed me to buy Wolframs book the History of the Goths (facinating analysis)Further research led me to find on Google books that some latin translations even have the exact spelling of my surname.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=ekhP...os&f=false

I am convinced that I have inherited my surname from these warriors and may even be a decendant.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ave Civitas,

Every now and again I revisit old topics or have a new question that is answered by an old topic.

It is fascinating all the history to be learned here.
Thank you guys a bunch.
Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski