Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My late Roman Spatha
Photos from my late roman spatha. handmade by myself with bone and horn. only the blade is from depeeka

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Looks very nice Martin. As does the belt.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hi Martin, first off let me just say
Hi Martin, first off let me just say very nice hilt work. Is this hilt based on any archaeological find? I'm particularly interested in the (bronze/brass?) pommel cap / peen block, was this type common among later Roman spathae?
Quote:Looks very nice Martin. As does the belt.

What he said...plus the bead is a nice touch :wink:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
thank you for the laud. the hilt and the pommel cap is from the book from Miks "Studien zur römischen Schwertbewaffnung in der Kaiserzeit". the hilt is after a finding from passau and a pommel cap like mine you will find in europe in the 4th and 5th cent.
Thanks for the reply Martin. You say the hilt is based on a find from Passau, now by hilt do you mean just the bone grip, or does this include the horn upper and lower guards? And as for the pommel cap, I had thought that this type was only found in Scandinavia, so does Miks mention if they were also found within the empire? Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for your help.
Servus Martin

Sehr Sehr nett

Very nice stuff mate
Sulpicius Florus

(aka. Steve Thompson)

"What? this old Loculus? had it years dear."
"Vescere bracis meis" (eat my shorts)
Quote:the bone grip, or does this include the horn upper and lower guards

the bone grip! the horn guards are from finds in europe in this time :wink:

Quote:And as for the pommel cap, I had thought that this type was only found in Scandinavia, so does Miks mention if they were also found within the empire?

unfortunately, I have given the book a friend and cannot look inside at the moment Confusedad: i remember that finds like this pommel cap not only found in scandinavia

Quote:Servus Martin

Sehr Sehr nett

Very nice stuff mate

danke schön, thank you
Thanks Martin, you've been very helpful.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can the Feltwell Spatha be used for a late 4th c./early 5th c. Roman re-enactment? Lucius_Aelius 19 8,275 12-12-2022, 06:16 AM
Last Post: deepeeka
  Late antiquity spatha question LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS 21 5,897 04-22-2015, 05:13 AM
Last Post: XorX
  Late Roman Spatha- Pattern welded blade markusaurelius 27 9,676 12-24-2014, 07:01 PM
Last Post: markusaurelius